D16-Y8 auto to manual conversion

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mdanielswv18

I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX. I am wanting to swap the automatic transmission with a 5 speed transmission from a 2000 civic hatchback. Will I have to swap the ECU or can I just cut the extra wires going to the auto tranny? Will the wiring harness outside of the firewall be the same for the 5 speed and the auto or am I going to need a completely different harness?

i have a 99 ex and just did the same thing but when i try to use the manual ecu it idles all fucked up because the IACV is different on auto and manuals. it is driveable with the auto ecu but you will have a check engine light and no VTEC. i'm about to swap out the wireing harness and IM to see if it acts normal but other then that i didn't run into any problems. just make sure the ecu you get is OBDIIb and not OBDIIa.

yeah, you will have to swap a few things with wiring if you want to do the auto-manual swap... you'll need the IACV, I believe the TPS wiring is different also, the ECU wiring, and the engine harness... You could just swap out the complete wiring harness...

thank you guys for the reply...Do you have any idea as to where I can get a good deal on the harness or the ECU? I figure I would be best just to check some junk yards. If I have trouble with the intake manifold, would the best route be to get an aftermarket one and order it for the 5speed D16 tranny or should I try to get the factory 5speed manifold?

i got mine here because i couldn't find any OBDIIb P2P ecu's or wireing harness at the local junkyards. they are kinda hard to come by since they aren't that old yet. the honda dealer wants around $150 for a bare intake manifold but you can find one cheaper then that in the classifieds on here. not to sure if a aftermarket manifold will help you a whole lot because you would still need the right sensors.

I did the same thing on my 2000 civic.I reuse my harness(no cutting just left all the extra wires hanging),ecu. My VTEC still working :D .....CEL stay on but oh well i can live with that :p

Back