D16A6 - D16Y8 Mini Me Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i've heard people saying you can put your head and parts in the dishwasher. like a low budget hot tank lol. what's anybody know about that? good? bad? let me know as it doesn't sound like too bad of an idea

Yeah man, I don't know if I told you that one yesturday, but I'd suggest it. I just got my laundry tub water STEAMING HOT with soap and scrubbed it, I also used pipecleaners to detail it, then I blew it out with my air hose. I also repeated it like 3-4times and it was as good as new. There will be new pics of it in my thread on Monday.

i've already had my head partially cleaned at the machine shop, i didn't have it completely tore down so it didn't clean some small areas. anyways, yeah, when my girlfriend's not at home i'm going to soak all of my parts and then i'll throw them in the dishwasher lol

well when i had it cleaned before to have it checked for cracks, i didn't pull the valves out. so once i did that, there was a bunch of crap between the valve springs and retainers. also, the bottom retainer, there was a bunch of crap between that and the seat. and i'm going to soak my valves for awhile and then run them through because there's carbon deposits caked on it. i'm going to run my springs and retainers through too

really long process for me also. i should have the head all put back together this weekend. i won't be able to put it on til my next paycheck which is in two weeks so we'll see. i'm debating if i should get arp head studs or just re-use the stockers for now. i'm going to be tearing it all back apart in a couple months anyways, so that's why i'm thinking of just reusing them

ARP's all the way!!. I heard an anology that made a lot of sence, it went as follows "Imagine your in a school and someone's pulling on the door classroom door but your trying to hold it shut, if he's more powerful he'll get that door open no problem. But, picture this, your a dude holding onto one classroom door and the other across the hall, it'd be impossible to open those doors no matter how much he pulls!". Pretty much what that means is that since you have one part of the stud threaded into the block and the other through the cylinder head, then a nut. Once you tighten the nut it will be super secure. Plus, your old re-used head bolts will be stretched and will cause the head to lift!!!.

yeah i know, i need to use the arp's, i'm just broke as hell and want this head on asap ya know. i've waited too long for vtec, i need it now! lol. but yeah, i heard that you can re-use the oem head bolts a second time as long as you torque it down 5 more ft/lbs. i would understand it'd be a concern if it were boosted or pushing out more power, but it's not that bad ya know. i don't want to wait, but of course i will. you start learning you need to do it all right the first time instead of half assing something and it turning out like crap. i'm what you would call a perfectionist. i don't try to be so i talk crap like saying i'm gonna reuse the stock head bolts, but i won't lol

Last edited:
Yeah man, when I started my swap I wanted to just bolt that bitch on and go (especially with VTEC). I took the head apart and I'm in the process of rebuilding it with a Crower "stage 1" cam, I even threw out my old cam to force myself to not half-ass stuff. Back to what you were saying, it will only cost under $150 shipped to your door for a nice set of ARP's. My suggestion is to use them only as a temporary fix for now then go ARP's. Were you the one that said you have the P05 ecu?.

yeah i bought the wrong set of arp's, so now i gotta sell these before i can get new ones. just another minor problem keeping me away from vtec lol. where did you get your stage 1? i'm looking for one but can't find a good used one. i don't see spending the same amount for a stage 1 as i would on a stage 2 or 3. and i got a p28 ecu

if you're gonna buy brand new you might as well get the stage 2 and spend a couple hundred more bucks and get the valve springs. well worth it if you're thinkin about buying brand new. i'm thinkin about getting my cam reground into a stage 1. the shop around here charges $130 plus sales tax of course

i have a 88 crx that has a d16a6 block and the kid i bought it from said he did a mini me engine swap. how can i tell if it is true if so is it a v-tec or not. it has the v-tec solenoid on the back of the head but isnt hooked up

Look on the stamping on the cylinder head. For example, mine is P2J 8. This can be found on the exhaust side near the #1 cylinder. I hope this helps, please get back to me.

Back