d16y8 in a 92 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nappyrat

so basically i have an obd2 d16y8 that i want to drop into my obd1 civic, what is the easiest way to tackle this? i do have tha engine harness and ecu for the d16y8, should i convert my car into obd2? or keep it 1?

ive been told i can transfer over my CX obd1 dizzy/alternator/and engine harness and just get a p28 and run the vtec wires and be done with it, but it seems alot harder than to just convert it to obd2, bc from what i heard everything will wire up right from the engine-harness-ecu, but i'll have to fix some wiring to the electrical harness behind the firewall. has anyone done this or anyone who knows whats best give me some input? thanks!

When you swap motors into different cars, its a cardinal rule to use the harness that came with the chassis of the car.

Use your VX engine harness and buy an ECU Jumper Harness from a website like JDMshit - Performance Parts & Accessories Supplier or a Rywire harness. If its a 96-98 y8 be sure to get an OBD2a Jumper, and if its 99-00 get a OBD2b Jumper. Cost around 75.00 I think.

If your distributor is vtec, use it or use another OBD1 vtec distributor, and wire in vtec to your harness. You can find information about doing this on alot of websites, try Honda-Tech.com: Main Forum List .

Then sell me your d16y8 harness if it's for a manual transmission because I need to replace mine in my 97 EX. :D.

Any other questions PM me and I can most likely have a thoughrough answer for you.
-Matt

Back