D16y8 n/a build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yeah I am talking when/if the turbo ever makes it to this motor. Either way I will still be running 91 or higher as is. Just to make sure I am okay.

That's why I plan on dropping the compression with the turbo. If it really comes to it I have my stock y8 block that I spun the rod bearing in. I could always run the mini me all motor for a bit then do a vitara build with the y8 block and just turbo the y8 eventually. We will see. chances are if anything it will be on the mini-me motor. I will probably cave in when/if I finish collecting the stuff I would need to run the turbo I have, (after rebuilding the turbo of course) pull my y8 head and have it rebuilt as well, drop the compression a bit and have it tuned by a good shop.

besides the y8 bottom, what block would you be using? because you could just use the y8 pistons, depending on the block, and be around 9.6:1 compression, which is stock for a complete y8 motor

yeah but if I were to rebuild it I would want more strength, so it can handle a lot of power. Vitara's are pretty cheap too.

are vitara's forged or what? there's a lot of things you could you. if you really wanted to build for boost then why not go with eagle rods and forged pistons

the way vitara's are cast makes them strong. It is like an upgrade over stock but definately not quite the power capabilities of forged pistons. Some have said they can handle around 400 horses reliably. But I would only be running a little over 200 if that.

oh okay i didn't know that. don't you have to use certain rods with vitara pistons though? because i thought i read that they're a lower profile piston and if you just use your stock rod they'll sit a lot farther down and really lower your compression. please correct me if i'm wrong as i haven't done much research on this yet.

i have a 88 crx si that i just finished the y8 head swap on. it's pretty fast now, but still not as much as i was hoping for. so i'm definitely going to be boosting in the near future lol.

Thats pretty sick. obd-1 harness I assume? I am still having issues with mine. I can't get it to start. I think it jumped time again. I plan on checking tomorrow.

yeah check the timing. after going through hoops on the internet trying to figure out my timing, i learned tons of info. y8 and z6 cam gears are different, and so are the adjustable cam gears. make sure you know which one you're using if you get one. that threw me way off. but if you're using a z6 adjustable cam gear with a y8 cam/head and an a6 bottom, keep the gear at 0 or top

the only problem with that is I am running the b7 bottom end, with the b7 cam gear. In the write up I used for this swap it mentioned using the b7 cam gear for the y8 head and b7 block, with the z6 belt. All the marks are supposed to line up with tdc.

oh okay. because the write ups for my swap just said retard the gear 4.5 degrees, but that's when using a y8 gear on a y8 head with an a6 bottom, not a z6 gear. so what i'm saying is some people aren't specific enough and make mistakes that cause others to make mistakes and so on, and eventually that information is useless ya know what i'm sayin. do all of your timing marks line up exactly?

yeah. or at least they did when it was running well enough to drive it home from work. I need to check the timing this weekend.

well on mine, we have the timing kinda messed up, but basically everything's at top dead center. when my buddy put on the timing belt, he had it a tooth off on the crank end, so we had to compensate by having the adjustable cam gear advanced 9 degrees which equals out to 1 tooth. i wanna fix that so it's correct and so it doesn't look like i'm actually advanced that far lol. my stuff needs to be tuned badly. make sure everything's top dead center and go from there. make sure you use a timing light once you've checked that and dial your timing in. that should be one of the first things you do. what else is giving you an issue? just the timing? i mean, what's the problem?

I don't exactly know. It's snowing here today so I am not motivated to go work on my car in the driveway. Hopefully its nice tomorrow. Either way I decided I am going to buy the p2p ecu, then get an adjustable cam gear, and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator then fine tune the afr, and timing myself.

i'm in a dilemma now because i just found out that running a virgin p28 ecu with a y8 head doesn't run to it's full potential. i guess the fuel and timing maps are all wrong. so i don't have as much power as i should and i get shitty gas mileage. and you can't just get a y8 basemap because if you try and pull the map off of a p2p ecu it comes out all wrong because it's different between obd1 and 2. so idk what i'm gonna do until i get it tuned. this is lame, i should've read into this more in depth. i'm eventually just going to find a z6 head and go turbo

Well good news today was payday so I have about $120 left over to spend on my car this week, plus on top of that I have a guy who is supposed to take my y8 block off my hands for around $50, without an oil pan. I am planning on buying the ecu this weekend. I am going to get that in, and wire vtec shortly after. After that is said and done I will get back to figuring out why my car refuses to start. I may actually buy pads and another rotor to finish up my brake job up front, and could possibly replace my cv axle on the left side that has a torn boot. I haven't decided quite what I want to do yet.

By the way: I retimed the motor one last time and it still won't start. I know the fuel is at least getting to the injectors and fuel rail, and I don't see how I could not be getting enough air. I have yet to test spark on the car so I may go pick up an inline spark tester to see if that is the issue.

had some more extra cash so I bought the left lower motor mount that was toast, and replaced the fuel filter because I had come to realize I haven't replaced it recently.

sweet got my taxes back tonight so I can actually focus a good amount of money into getting the civic back on the road in perfect running order. I have an master tech from my shop planning on coming down next weekend to help find out whats going on. I am guessing I don't have spark.

Back