D16z6 effed

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jgpoirier

Well on my way out of town for Christmas, out of left field started hearing a mad knock from the motor. Pulled over had it towed back to town boxing day. Began looking at timing thinking that maybe I was getting valve smack from a timing belt skip. Turns out that the timing is perfect. So we sit there scratching our heads hoping it's not bottom end.

The next day, drained the oil and of course comes out looking like metallic paint.
So begin tear down, and pulled the motor next day.

Dropped the oil pan and got a great look at all the powdered metal flakes sitting in the bottom of the pan. Unbolted the number 4 rod and took the bearing out seeing as it was in two peices. At first I thought I couldn't find the other peice of the bearing, but my buddy noticed that the bearing had spun on itself and welded together.

So the search for a new motor began.

Turns out one of my philipeno buddies had a 2001 B20b sitting in his garage with 127000kms on it. So picked that up from him and lucky had happened to have a B series hydro tranny. So as of tonight I have transfered harness from D series to B20, and cleaned the tranny up and valve cover. Looking shiny.

Have integra axels, shift linkage kit, polyurathane mounts, engine dampener.
Just need to replace clutch then I'm ready to drop the motor back in the car.

Plan is to turbo in may, also have b16 vtec head sitting in garage the will go on.

Will post pics and updates daily, til motor is in

Guy

did you figure out what the cause of the spun bearing was?

anyway, sounds like a cool project. post some pics

Sorry guys been computer less for almost a month,
Will post pics tonight, I have a bunch.

Been in the process of dropping in a B18A with stage4, unsprung, six puck. Have B16A head sitting in my garage so if I can get the car running i'll swap to VTEC after winter.

GuyB18a.jpg

GuyClutch.jpg

Guybearing2.jpg

Guybearing.jpg

nice bearing... must add some power eh?

yea she aint fun. tonight i have two friends coming over, one of which has done the same swap, so hopefully we can sort out the fuel issue

I would suggest a different clutch for your setup. That clutch is going to engage so harshly since it is unsprung. Its way too over kill for your setup. Something like a exedy stage 1 clutch would drive sooo much smoother. Just a suggestion.

oh yea i know it will, if you read up higher on my first post you'll see i plan to boost in may. Plus i got a wicked deal on the stage four

yea me too and i have only owned the car since november. if i can figure out how to upload a vid ill post how bad i could shake the rod

I was going to add that the B20 Intake Manifold wont fit (hood wont shut) and you need a B18B IM but it sounds like you went another direction anyways.....turbo soon? psssssssst-kah!!!

CAFROG- Yea I think I'm going to try a kit from God Speed Project, and I'm in hthe midst of thying to figure out if they can get me the equal length exhaust mani instead of their cast one that they supply in the kit.

^^I think that equal length is very nice but if you're staying below 15psi....not sure if its worth it....but it all depends on how much more they would want

And how much $$$ you are willing to spend.

Back