D16Z6 Future Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93 Del Sol

In the near future if things go right, I am hoping to get another D16Z6 to begin the build. I want to run the turbo on it at about 8-10 PSI. So I do know I will have to run the 93 octane gas. I already have the turbo pistons and new gaskets, etc. The big thing(s) that are holding up progress, other than the other engine I need, are the top end parts, like the valves, springs and retainers, and the cam. How big of a cam do I need for this type of build that I can still drive daily? This is also on an automatic transmission. I have heard both ways, that it won't hurt it, and that it will. I personally don't really know. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Well it is one of the T3/T4 turbo's. I would say probably no more than 175-200 HP. I believe the company said it was an A/R .50. I'm not sure what a lot of this stuff means, I'm fairly new to all of this. As far as price goes, I would like to keep the engine under about $1500 or so. One other question for you guys that know a lot more than me, I found on a JDM site an engine I believe is an exact replacement for mine. Here is the link to it: Tiger Japanese Auto Parts LTD If maybe someone could for sure verify this it would be much appreciated.

Before you do anything said:
a lot[/I]. If you don't understand what you're doing, you might as well throw your money into a fire.

LAWL Agreed!:D

yeah, I have been doing some research to find out any problems I might encounter. I am hoping to start ordering parts here before long. In all honesty I was thinking about getting it one piece at a time off of ebay because I can't really afford to pay several thousand dollars for anything. just accumulate the parts as I can and then get into the build. I have so far, the gaskets, and a set of turbo pistons, and the bearings. I was looking into getting a turbo cam and the springs and retainers. but I want to keep my A/C and the power steering. So I will probably have to make my own intake piping.

Last edited:
i done some reading and it helped a lot. there is just one thing i havent yet figured out. the dump tube. i know it comes off the wastegate, but do i splice it into the exhaust? or do i run it down toward the ground a let it flow out on its own? i have heard both ways and am not sure on it.

You can dump to atmosphere or to your exhaust. Generally, factory turbo cars vent to exhaust, for emissions purposes, and noise reduction.

well that works. ill just splice it into the exhaust. i found a turbo on ebay, here is the link to it: eBay Motors: T3 AR42 TURBO CHARGER+ oil drain oil return line kit (item 300171471781 end time Nov-22-07 14:43:59 PST)

i know that earlier in this thread Blanco said to look into something that would spool a little quicker. I'm assuming that since this one has smaller numbers it will spool quicker, but im going to do a little reading to find out. just thought i would toss it out for any advice or what not.

Now ebay is a great place to get certian items, don't get me wrong, but usually no name new turbo kits tend to be lacking in quality. Notice they don't mention the brand of the turbine anywhere on the page? That's because they don't want you to know. Usually I've found they turn out to be XS-Engineering turbo's. They like to wear out quickly. The bearings tend to suck and probably slow down the spool time too. I don't know anyone around me that got one and actually liked it. Look for brand names such as Garrett or Turbonetics.

Keep up the reading! These should help:
Beginners Turbo FAQ/Buyers Guide - Team Integra
Turbo FAQ Updated 10-01-04 - Team Integra
Turbo 101 - Team Integra
Turbo Manifold Design - Team Integra
Turbo Size Calculation - SMOKEmUP.com

many thanks on the links. im reading them right now. the honest reason i want to build the motor is that there are a lot of hills on the roads where i live and i am tired of it just crapping out when going up them. so that is why i just want to build it up to about 200HP or so. nothin real major

ahhh! slightly different game now.

if climbing hills are what your after (geeze making me remember living in pittsburgh, compared to now indiana...blah), you need torque numbers, not necessarily hp.

and with a turbo, unless your tryin to jump the hills, your gonna have to ride out the rpm band so it will spool to begin with, so you have the power your wanting.

have you considered swapping to a higher displacement motor instead? maybe a B18? again i say it, but there's no replacement for displacement. your gonna want that torque down low. and the D will never do that

idk i guess when i city drive, i usually only rev to about 4 grand, if that. you've been around the block, and i know your right. i've just never seen a turbo in my life that would be spooling fairly good at about 2600-3k. now i guess i'm curious as to what you would suggest using.

off the top of my head, i'm thinking the mitsu 14b is around .60 or .63 a/r, running on a 2 liter. i've always used what the factory goes with as a good indication. so in 93 Del Sol's case, what would actually spool low?

alright, i will keep an eye out for a low A/R turbo then? if the numbers are lower should i use smaller intercooler piping as well to keep up pressure? and on a lighter note....i caught a good deal on a d16z6 on ebay, i got it for $325 shipped :) im just waiting for it to arrive now. it was already dismantled but the guy guaranteed all parts and censors were in place. so once i get it i can start cleaning it and making plans for the big build :) i will post pics as soon as i get access to a digital camera.

Last edited:
I would recommend looking around about the D16z6. I read that you want 170-200hp. I would look up what the D16z6 internals can handle. I think it was 220HP stock, just and idea :)... Good Luck with the build and how many miles were on the motor?

well....it was not specified in the auction, but i am going to have the deck shaved just enough to get a good seal on the head. as well as the crank but i am going to try to leave it stock bore since i already got the new pistons and rings for it. if i have to i will replace the rods as well. i have a good portion of all the parts, i just need to get the cam, valve springs, and the retainers (if i dont have to replace the rods and crank).

lol...i know it isnt related to the engine, but today i went to put on some new brake pads on my car, and my rear calipers were, and had been seized up i guess. not sure how long. but i had to spend $150 on new rear calipers that i have to go pick up tomorrow. so that should be fun. an hopefully the front wont be a problem because they have been doing all the stopping so far.....lol

i figured i would. i have a cylinder hone and my dad says he can take care of it. but i figure i will take it to a machine shop and have the deck shaved and the head as well. for a better fit. but i have another issue with my del sol. it is now surging ONLY when i take off from a dead stop in drive. not reverse, neutral, or park. just drive. it will surge to about 2000 rpms and then just go right back to normal......it has just been since we fixed my rear brakes. any ideas? suggestions? tips? thanks again guys

i know this will sound stupid but what is an EACV and an FITV?

Those links were very helpful. as soon as the cold breaks i will try and take it apart and clean those valves. We got snowed in lol. but as soon as my new engine comes in i will just clean up that throttle body assembly and just swap them out :) hopefully it will be here in the next few days.

Back