d16z6 "missing" issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

can you tell the the exact models for the Dizzy, Engine and ECU?

ill ask some friends of mine

When I had it all apart yesterday, I went beyond using the crank pulley marks as a guide. Instead, I looked at the crank gear mark, to be sure that it was lined up with the arrow on the oil pump, which it was. When that was lined up, the 7 oclock line was dead on the timing cover arrow. I didnt even look at the other two lines because I was under the impression the 7oclock one was the only one that mattered. However like you said, if that was lined up with the arrow inside the timing cover, than it's safe to assume that the other two lines were correct as well.

If the timing and wiring are correct it could be the reman. distributor or the chip. In that case, I lean towards the chip unless you got a bargain basement reman. distributor. If that's the case, exchange for another if possible. If that doesn't solve your problem see if you can get someone here or at PGMFI.org to burn you a stock Z6 .bin. People will usually do it for cost and shipping and if not it'll be around $20.

Good call.

The dizzy cost me $165 and was from Autozone (I know I know...). I kinda forgot about pgmfi.org, I'll get on there and see if someone can burn it for me.

Thanks for all your help, and I do appologize for being an ass earlier. I let my frustrations from the car and work get the better of me, which is not something I usually allow to happen.

HA, I have a buddy exactly like that, always pokin the bear:D

pgmfi.org seems to be down right now. Hopefully it'll be back up soon

Yeah I have the same stuff posted on d-series.org but haven't had a ton of luck there. Definitely recieved more info here.

Thanks again. pgmfi is up now so I can try and find someone to hook me up.

LOL someone owes me some Rep power... maybe a gold star :p

last peice of advice.. im going to bed

Try Re-Wording your problem, alot of people overlook questions due to confusion of whats actually wrong... or try several posts with different titles...

revelation... I don't need a new bin, or to try someones stock ecu. All I have to do is cut the j1 jumper and BAM, instant 100% stock p28.

I'll give that a shot today

hopefully that works, tell us the outcome

Well, I ended up sitting at the Suby dealership with my wife for most of last night, so I didn't get a chance to cut it till this morning. Did that, and it seems to run a lot better. Now it misses a little bit down low, but I'm thinking if I tweak the dizzy back towards center, it MIGHT clear it up. Does that make sense?

If that doesn't solve the problem, it HAS to be the dizzy itself. We'll see what happens on my lunch break when I adjust the ignition timing.

Hey I just had the same problem but i already solve it

what i did is that i made my own timing.... i did it the hard way i remove the spark plug and manualy messured the piston... when the piston goes up and when it goes down, dame the timing was way off, and it was two tooth's off... try to do the same i hope ull get it this time.. oh u cant do this by ur own u need another guy to help u out Gud luck

ill post some pics once i get a chance... ^_^

Last edited:
I don't quite follow what you're saying, could you elaborate?

I cut the jumper and adjusted the Dizzy a bit. It's still way too retarded, but doesn't miss quite as bad up top. It does however mis slightly at low RPMS getting into each gear

this car sucks

Did you have any material taken off of the headgasket mating surfaces? It still sounds like your cam timing is off.

To my knowledge this motor has never been pulled apart, so I would have to say no.

But, if cam timing is off, my timing marks would not have lined up at TDC, correct?

Correct. But, when your timing's correct you shouldn't need to put the distributor all the way in either direction. Rent a timing light and find out where your timing actually is.

No one around here rents them. The only person I know thats got one lives on the other side of the city and I wont have time to go over there until sunday.

Last time I was there (still with the y8 pulley) we had to move the dizzy all the way to the firewall to get it close to the timing marks.

That sucks. At least Sunday's only a few days away.

Have you put the Z6 pulley on yet to see if that makes a difference? I think I remember you saying that.

I know that with my Z6, I timed it by ear and was way off when I put the light on it.

Yeah the z6 pulley is on it right now. Like I said I haven't hit it with the light since it's been on, but will asap.

Hmmm its kinda hard to explain what i did but ill try to elaborate it... dang if i just have free time to get some pics doing this step by step... anyway i think that the main problem is that ur cam gear and ur pully timing dosent match even if u follow the timing marks it wont work. i ll borrow ur pics for a sec..

HONDA'S Right Timing (PULLY)
gee1ak5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

MY OWN TIMING (PULLY) i did nothing to the cam gear just this

gee2ed1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

What happen here is that when i put on a dif crankshaft it didnt match with the original timing of the engine... there is a very big difference meaning the crank shaft fits ok but the timing is now way off... for that u need to find manually the right timing mark for ur pully as the picture shows it... sorry but i am more on hands on then theory this is base from my experience... but this is a rare problem ^_^ mostly the good advice is that Swap ur engine

yes i did... and yes a adjustable cam gear would do the trick but in this kind of problem it didint work (Weird) ^_~... but now im just using a stock cam gear and its adjust to 0(zero)... and it runs great... honestly this kind of a problem is rare... ^_^

Back