d16z6 or d16y8

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Okay well me being the inexperienced person I am when it comes to tuning am going to ask a dub question but couldn't you just alter the timing setting....? Again I am clueless when it comes to tuning I have never even seen a tuning program before.

Okay well me being the inexperienced person I am when it comes to tuning am going to ask a dub question but couldn't you just alter the timing setting....? Again I am clueless when it comes to tuning I have never even seen a tuning program before.

i see where your coming from on that thought because thats what i thought at first, but thats what the 8 pages were for on pgmfi.org. it is so much more complicated then i understand. i tuned my old car that was a turboed y8 and then sold it before the rest of the theorys came out. but from my knowledge and experiance i would prefer the z6 over the y8 anyday.

go with the z6, it is a great motor. thats the motor that came stock in my 95 ex coupe and I wouldnt change it for any other motor

So you can't alter the timing settings tuning wise couldn't you just advance or retard the timing by hand to cope with the differences in the tuning map? Again sorry if I sound dumb but this is how I learn. lol

I have heard that the y7 and y8 motors are more prone to oil problems making it commonfor people to spin bearings.

So you can't alter the timing settings tuning wise couldn't you just advance or retard the timing by hand to cope with the differences in the tuning map? Again sorry if I sound dumb but this is how I learn. lol

yeah you can, its just a pain in the ass and should be done on the dyno with a det can or stethescope so you can listen for knock.
thats what makes it suck a pain and the z6 a better motor, easier to tune.

okay well regardless I like my y8 and it has never failed me. But yeah like everyone has already said the z6 would be a better motor for your application

okay well regardless I like my y8 and it has never failed me. But yeah like everyone has already said the z6 would be a better motor for your application

The D16Y8 has oiling problems, but swapping it into a 92-95 civic you would only have to use an OBD1 distributer. everything else you can use the OEM stuff from the motor you pull out. The P28 ECU is what you'll need chipped preferably with the D16Y8 fuel maps.

yo ha neon...have you owned a car with a y8 in it?

when i say oiling problems i'm refering to performance applications not stock. when you put Y8's under stress they're prone to screw up bearings due to it's inferior oiling system. anyone who works with d-series motors will stand by this claim. If you're that sentimantal about your motor go stick your dick in the tial pipe.

tial pipe? you need to chill out man I was asking a question I was actually sincerely wondering. I am not speaking on terms of performance applications. I can't talk from that perspective I have yet to turbo a d-series motor. But I have heard a ton of times b20's are bad for turbo applications, and that crv/vtec motors aren't reliable. but I have watched a b16/b20 hybrid hold a ton of boost on it personally. So basically all I am trying to say is that it all depends on how you maintain the car, the tuner, the parts used, the extent of the motor build.

good point. I better let my car sit for a couple hours but wait...I like my holes warm. damn. this is like a paradox. lol wait I have a great idea. I'll just enjoy my girl's "tial pipe" lol

thanx i actually purchaced a d16y7 about a little less than month ago it has some mods to it already like a block guard, worked head with no miles in it (still in package), sheet metal intake manifold, cai, throttle body 60mm??? (not sure), integra ls fuel rail and injectors, fuel pressure regulator, and a spare d16y8 block brand new no miles on it blocks so clean you could eat off it.
:tpp: :rally:

Back