D16z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mycivichasturbo

Heres my question. I am about to but a 94 hatch with a d16z6 in it. My freinds no the the guy and say its pretty fast the way it is. Wat i was wondering is should i turbo this motor, or save and buy a swap. Ive been told to make my own turbo kit, and i can always use most of it when i get a motor swap. If i keep it and turbo it, what wlse will i have to do to beat stock gt's, and beat most b series powered cars around. Thanks.

i'd swap it.
the d16z6 - I dunno... i have one now... and while its ok, its far from a great motor. the tranny's suck (im on my 2nd and in need of a 3rd soon if i wasn't swapping)

its your choice- but i think the b-series is a much better platform.

Turbo it(see picture below)

manifold9.jpg

Swap it. The amount of time and trouble youd spend dealing with D series you could have a good B on your hands. Get a B and turbo that. I have the same engine and im on my 2nd tranny as well.

with the 2400 plus it would cost to swap in a b16a2 into your hatch you could have a custom turbokit, with a built lower end that would run 12s. not such a bad idea. and since you are rplacing the internals you now have a nice 0 mile engine to play with. i like that idea, wait thats what i did.

It's really just what you want. You could turbo + rebuild a D series and get 12's. Or you could buy a B Series and get 13's. (Depending on conditions). But if you do turbo the D16Z6 it won't let you down. Only problem with the D series is the weak ass trannies. To which there is pretty much no solution, you might be able to use a ZC tranny, I'm not sure though.

Originally posted by turborex13@Feb 26 2003, 05:23 PM
with the 2400 plus it would cost to swap in a b16a2 into your hatch you could have a custom turbokit, with a built lower end that would run 12s.

...how? can you show me, or prove it?

not calling you a liar, but getting 12's for 2400 in a d16z6 sounds tough.

Originally posted by TRuggiero_@Mar 3 2003, 11:38 AM
It's really just what you want. You could turbo + rebuild a D series and get 12's. Or you could buy a B Series and get 13's. (Depending on conditions). But if you do turbo the D16Z6 it won't let you down. Only problem with the D series is the weak ass trannies. To which there is pretty much no solution, you might be able to use a ZC tranny, I'm not sure though.

D16z6 turbo = 12 seconds??? :bs:

you can add a JRSC, i bet you can make it in the 13's. and daily driven.

First off, I swear this has been written about before. In fact, I know it has because I've been part of it...do a search and there will hopefully be a good amount of info to sift through.

First...the D is a good motor. Sure, its understated and outdates, basically the bastard child of hondas more recent engines. But man, its one hell of a bastard child. Got torque? The D does. In fact, more than the B series(on average and potential using equal horsepower ranges). Yes, for the most part the transmissions arent of the same "high" quality that the B series are, but pick up a new Ex transmission and you wont be dissapointed, and they are relitively cheap(all prices compared to the cost of B series parts unless otherwise specified).

Dont take anything I say as a "engine swaps suck" comment. I like engine swaps, i just hate it when people arent specific when they tell you how much it will cost and what your getting! lets shoot for a B series swap, say a B18b, so on top of the price (hope you find a deal) you really should get motor mounts or at least inserts, just a worthwile investment. Then, you should do the clutch(300-500+ depending on choice), installation cost unless you do it yourself(do if you can!), miscellaneous parts, replace all hoses( dont do this shit half-assed, you may regret it and thats an expensive regret.). Thats just the good engine with a good clutch, still needs an intake upgrade, exhuast(both manifold and piping set up) and whatever else you decide to do. A good set up and not a slouch, but not fast, more like quick which is still good!

Now, lets look at the D series. All ready a more torque happy engine which can be very important but i wont get into that. Now, 2400 for a turbo D series...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAahahahaha....oh mercy, thats rich! No. Well, maybe with shitty parts, or amazing hookups. I just finished ( if such a thing exists when playing with cars) my D series. If you want details ask me or look in my other posts, I know they're there. Just to give you an idea of why 2400 isn't realistic nessecarily, my clutch alone cost 750; its a custom sprung sintered iron street disk from MacLeod industries. It will bitch slap other clutches all day and still drive like stock, garuenteed FOR LIFE to never slip under load on my engine set up. Was what i did worth it? Lemme think...YES. If there is interest enough in building D's I'll try and write up some basics or detailed ideas about it.

Too "RFHOMI2U" who believes 12's on a D series to be :bs: , I pitty thee. My engine set up was used in a 4 door, full interior w/ stereo 1997 Civic. It ran 12.6 at 18psi and may have done better. My engine is in a 1800lb- 92 Civic Cx Hatchback. In my area (Washington state) there have been hatchbacks like mine with less bulit set ups than mine that ran 12's at 12psi. But its only a D series...hehe. The nice thing, is i can keep a large amount of my turbo components if/when i get a B series engine for turbo, but we'll see...single cam's are fun.

Rob

:D

NP! hehe

i turbo'd my d series vtec and ran so far a best of 14.06 ay 101 moh whihc isnt too bad...this was at 7.5 psi on 13 steelies with 175 series tires at 22 psi...im going to CMI this weekend to see what better tires and more boost will do...all i have are fmu intank fuel pump..and a greddy kit with fmic..on a 1994 cx full interior...i should be netting 13.6 at 104 but we will see

Back