damnit :(

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
Now, mom is getting laid off.

as a few of you remember, about a month ago, my old man got the can.... but he found another position. I just got news today that the old lady is getting the can in a month or so.... the company is merging with someone else and moving all the stuff she does to north carolina.

america sucks. im moving to india.

I feel bad for your mom, but this seems to be the pattern in American.

Destructive Progress:

It sucks for the person being laid off but it seems to be the way to progress in America. That’s why we don’t make steal anymore; we farm it out to china because it’s cheaper. Same thing with the computer industry, I remember back in the day that if you could program you had a good paying job, but any person in a 3rd world country can do that now. But guess what the people who are out of jobs figure out new things to do, push the envelope of technology and the world as a whole moves forward.

But who I do feel for is the worker who’s done there job for 30 years and now basically has to start over.

That sucks.

i would venture to say that 99% of corporate america sucks...

and since corp's can afford to "lobby" and basically buy the gov't, it turns the american gov't into a huge pile of shit...

and we both know you can't polish a turd steve... :p

and sorry to hear about your mom B...
talk about a sucker punch
how long has she been with the company?

Quoted post[/post]]
and sorry to hear about your mom B...
talk about a sucker punch
how long has she been with the company?

I agree with everything you said above except the part i quoted. Yes it does suck a long time employee lost there job, but where does it say you have a job for life.

It would be like us swiching jobs and the company we work for getting all pissy because they had an employee for life.

My .02

She started with Cigna when i was in 2nd or 3rd grade...
the aprt of cigna my mom worked for got bought out by lincoln maybe 10 years ago? or so... but they kept just about everyone.

i'm guesing shes been there at least 15 years, maybe 18?.

It's a sucky trend, but it's a trend that many US companies are following in order to stay competitive. It comes down to the fact that some jobs are hard to outsource (in country tech, engineers, production) but many companies are finding ways around it. I thought that going for an engineering degree would be a good idea job-wise, as many engineering positions cannot be restaffed by foreign sources who have considerably less education.

Well, thats not looking so great either. My father's company, EMC is experimenting by outsourcing some basic software and electrical engieering to their subsidary companies in India and Thailand.

I have no doubt that other companies are trying this - and I think that a lot of engineers are going to have to go global in order to stay competitive and stay employed.

I have to wonder if other countries are so quick to abandon their own workers for the almighty dollar.

Yup... Even our company is outsourcing. We make custom mailing equipment, have always done EVERYTHING in house... Our new software for our systems... Outsourced...

Granted its working in our favor, as a software firm with 20 people on the project works better than 2 people sitting in a corner...

CEO... Yes.. It's publicly owned...

It was his idea to outsource the software.... Because in-house software development wasn't gettin it done.

Back