dead rex....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mrblk

Minor problem....

90 crx

driving home from berkeley (about 30min away) almost home ad the engine stops, it still rotates, it just wont continue to move under its own power.

so while coasting i A) try to put it into gear to 'jump start' the engine and get it going and B ) try to turn the ignition to get it to fire again.

no luck so once its stopped i try to start the car, the starter works fine and is strong, but the engine wont start.(turn over)

there is enough oil, and there is a little less than 1/4 tank of fuel left, and there is no leaking coolant/oil (ie nothing 'blew up'), and the battery is fine as well

any ideas on things to check, or what it may be?

where do you live?.. i live near there too... ok so back to the prob. could be ignition or distributor probs. When was the last time you did a tune up.. changing spark plugs, wires, dist. cap, rotor??

try it out its any easy place too start and wont be too expensive for parts....

My dad had the same problem, we took off the dist. cap and the rotor was loose.... check to see if the rotor is in good shape.

Ok yea what sity are you in?

HAHAHA take out a spark plug and ground the outside of it to like your head or vavle cover or something. Have someone try to start the car, and look to see if there is a spark.

replaced the timing belt not long ago, I remember what it was like when the belt slipped, it would at least fire then, but i dont think thats what this is...hopefully

no no no no no no no there is one thing to check that no one ever does that is the main problem with a honda this happen to my car and a buddie of mines car. He actuall bought a car from a guy who sold it for $500 it was a 92 acura integra ls because it wouldnt start and he couldnt figure it out. So my buddie payed the guy and then right in front of the dude fixed what it was started the car and drove off and the dude was pissed but he got a great car for nothing. But back to the problem check the big yellow fuse under your hood in the fuse case check them all because my rex wouldnt start and I replaced that fuse and it cranked right over. If that doesnt work go get your timing done cuz thats also something that happen to a friend of mine and why his car wouldnt start. email me and tell me how it goes.

or if it just died but nothing was frozen... then that would kinda gave you the feeling that something electrical.. I.E. ignition... would not be functioning correctly.

yeah, i was thinking it was something electrical....just because nothing mechanical (ie crank, valves etc) seized, and because it was so sudden, on, then off, like a switch fliping, hmm i will look into it i suppose, figure out how to test the different components and try to isolate the problem

I had the same problem as "rudeludenotmeanthough", ie, rotor came loose. Actually, it keeps happening.
So, rudeludenotmeanthough, what did you do about it? Put on a new one, and that was the end of it, or is yours still coming loose too?

Back