Debian Users

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BSD is pretty sweet stuff- just not quite in line with the Linux distributions.

Eric- I was pulling RedHat ISO files off the RedHat site just last week. Most Linux distributions are still free from the manufacturer.

Jiahaohao- you only pay at CompUSA to get the printed CD from the distribution company and a large paper manual. The copy online for you to download legally for free is the same as what you get at the store.

I'll be damned, there they are. Oh well. If I decide that Mandrake is no good I will get Red Hat.

i love mandrake, but i never quite had the time to play with it much after i installed it on a machine i fought with like hell to get it to recognize my display for x. maybe soon.... ive got a dual processor machine. :)

has any one actually paid the money for lindows and whats it like while we are on the subject not being a thread jacker

damn, i haven't been there in a while, and theres a new one-
http://www.lycoris.com/

it looks bad ass. XP style, ease of use, and well, its linux. I might have to give that one a shot some time....

After attempting to install ayttm on Mandrake and having to spend almost an hour tracking down dependencies Mandrake is getting the boot.

The search for a reasonable distro continues. There seem to be lots of places that offer the RedHat ISOs, but every one I have tried this afternoon has been too busy. So I figured I'd try SuSE. No ISOs only network install. No thank you. Now on to GenToo hopefully I can find something that works reasonably well...

On a side note I heard a funny one today:
Linux is only free is your time is worth nothing.
:)

You can download SuSE distributions from their site... if not I have copies of 8.2 and 9.0 Pro.

:lol:

In ISO form? I couldn't find any ISOs beyond the 20MB bootable CD that let you DL the rest and a couple of ISO to "try it out". Could you post a link maybe? My track record for seeing these ISOs is bad (look at the post about RedHat :) )

Whoops, I was wrong.... you can do an FTP install, but there are no ISOs on the site. I meant that I have the CDs available- direct images of the SuSE distribution CDs.

Bummer. I can't make the FTP install work. No DHCP here and when I manually configure the network the request hangs. I am sure the network is configured properly becuase I am currently posting from that setup right now. :)

Oh well, I did manage to get the Gentoo ISOs so that will be next on my list.

I have used SuSE for a very long time and NEVER got the "free" FTP update to work...I may be up in Cruces sometime so let me know...I'm still using 8.0 but since X-Mas is coming up, I may spring for the latest PRO version...maybe this version will have some nForce2 drivers for my EPOX board...

I am going to try Gentoo next and if I am as unimpressed with it as I was with Mandrake I will keep looking. Hopefully Gentoo will be okay. Thanks though.

Hey LSvtec and the rest of us here at hondaswap...I had no clue you guys were into linux...I say I am pretty good at it...you guys should try Clark Connect has a firewall/gateway base O/S...it works very nice...Suse has a new firewall right out of the box which I hear works pretty well. I am currently creating a new Database for some things I am trying to get together here for a website using apache. I am currently doing these task on my Ultra 30 and my two linux boxes...Slackware and CC...so back to the topic...I see you are looking for a nice flavor of linux...why not try slack...slack supports your hardware...just have to load it up as a module and re-compile the kernel...but before you try that you can go to /etc/rc.d/rc.modules and un-comment the driver for your card...

By the way...I am currently in the process of getting a new server so for anyone here on hondaswap that may be in need of some hard drive space or space at all I can set you guys up with a linux/unix account at no charge but of course only a limited amount of space and thats soon to come...but only if you are a hondaswap member...

Well the gentoo install was a failure. I did a fairly customized install the first try and it corrupted the boot partition. SO I figured I screwed something up and decided to try their instruction for people that have never installed linux before and got the same results. Another distro down.

I am currently using FreeBSD I know it's not linux but it does everything I wanted the linux distro to do better than any of the distros I have tried to date.

Back