Degreasing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Smonkeyboy

Its a stupid question.

can you degrease your engine and tranny while they are in your car?

if so is it easy??

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Dec 4 2003, 09:31 PM
Its a stupid question.

can you degrease your engine and tranny while they are in your car?

if so is it easy??

watch out for electric parts.. ie alternator. Its not "easy" becuase there is alot of hard to reach place under your hood.

I dont know if it would be a good idea though

yes its safe. i detail my engine about every 2 months, sometimes more often. what u need to do is...

1. cover your distributor well with a plastic bag

2. remove your air filter (just the filter) and place a plastic bag over the hole. secure it with a rubber band.

3. spray the degreaser liberally. ive done this alot and have sprayed all the electrical stuff even the alternator and have not had any problems. i swear. i try not to spray the fuse box but it does get wet.

4. let it soak for a few minutes (make sure you are doing this with the engine COLD, not hot like everyone thinks. it even says this on the directions). DONT let it dry or it will just leave spots and discoloration. this is why you dont do it hot.

5. rinse thoroughly. i rinse everything! dont use super high pressure of course, but you can spray it good without any problems.

6. hand dry it if you dont want waterspots

if you want to get the real tough stuff use brushes and degreaser.

heres a pic of my engine. i actually go as far as armor-alling the hoses and polishing the chrome and stuff
s3fd01acbbc027.jpg

heres a pic i took just the other night when i uncovered my cam gear and found out it was never adjusted
s3fd01c1d30d5e.jpg

im with you about the armoralling the hoses. i do it too. i think im gonna rice my engine bay a little this next spring with some gnarly blue vacuum hoses and maybe some cheap Blue spark plug wires. probablly gonna do my valve cover like civicious'.

i try and keep a pretty clean engine bay, but you coulnt look at my block right now and tell me what motor i have. it needs to be degreased bad. ill try and get a pic up soon of my fun job ahead, but untill then

s3fd0203d111c4.jpg

would it be HORRIBLY ricey if i painted my heat sheild on my Exhaust Manifold blue to match my valve cover when i do that or should i do it black???

EDIT: im also gonna paint by rusted battery tie down black

blue man! you already got the horses to back up any "cool" stuff u do to your car :D plus i think it will look tite. in fact, ill photoshop it for you when i get a chance.

nice work mang

im gonna go with gloss black for the EM cover but that blue look good. nice work.

BTW i painted my battery tie down black, and took pics of my lovely grease, will post on sunday

thanks man. looking at it now, i realize i shouldve bumped down the saturation so it doesnt look like its glowing lol. yea rusty batt tiedown is the one pet peave i have about my car too. i heard ts common to all 88-91 crx's. ive gone through about 4 of them but i let them rust so bad they almost fall apart. i covered mine with some adhesive vinyl from work. it looks good but i think its still rusting underneath.

fuckin' gabe man, your engine bay is so rediculously clean, i think it's cleaner than it was from the factory.

lol no. i swear its not THAT clean. i wish it was though. actually, right now its kinda dirty cause i havent cleaned it in awhile.

Originally posted by crxtunerfan@Dec 5 2003, 12:37 AM

1. cover your distributor well with a plastic bag

:withstupid: So,so important. I've seen more than one shot distributor from this. Blow out the spark plug wells too. Shop air if you have the compressor 50 cents at the gas station if you don't. Once the engine warms up and cools, it will draw moisture into the distributor/and or plug wells if they get wet. You will misfire and/or screw the distributor.

blow off the connectors on the distrubitor????

s3fd389a17ef66.jpg

ima do another coat l8r it was too damn cold to do 2

s3fd389b4e7f07.jpg

mmmm..... look at the grease

No, the spark plug wells. It only takes a little water pressure or vacuum to get water into the wells and cause misfire.

hows the cam plug looking, it could leak and eventually cause this again. buy an STR for like $25 and it will keep the cam from leaking. I gettin one!

Pre-warning : as far as building engines go im a huge n00b

i think that might be the problem if the cam plug is the plastic thing that looks about inline withthe front cam just forward of the distrubtor. part of the edge is chipped off but thats just a small oil i think.

i cant even get the code off my block there is soo much grease on it
you can see most of it in the pic, because shouldnt my B18A1 be right in the bottom middle of that pic

Originally posted by cws13@Dec 7 2003, 03:41 PM
P.S. Change your valve cover gasket and you won't have to do this again. :p

ill probablly do that this next summer when i take off the valve cover to paint it.

the cam plug is the plug at the end of the cam shaft on the distributor side of the engine. it can cause massive leaks trust me.... lost an engine due to this... I was young & dumb.

yea i just had my cam and crankshaft seals replaced. i was leaking oil there too. now its my valve cover gasket thats leaking....but thats an easy fix.

Back