Delivery Honda

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Periculum

Hey guys, im new to the site. I recently bought a 91 CRX to deliver pizzas in because my other car is a gas hog. Anyway, the radiator in the CRX has just recently cracked so now its time for a new one. I was wondering what the best route to go is on a new radiator. Should I go with an exact replacement, an all metal radiator, or perhaps a 'performance' radiator? Keep in mind that this CRX is only for deliveries and not necessarily a tuner by any means at this point in time. I just want reliability and good mileage out of the CRX. Thats why i bought it :D
I also had a question about air intakes. I have heard that they increase gas mileage, however miniscule it may be, is that true? I could use even more MPG and save even more money on deliveries that way.
Thanks

My brother just picked up a 2nd gen CRX. The radiator on the thing is HUGE compared to that of a 5th gen civic.

Really, there is NO need for a performace radaitor unless your turbo, pushing a decent amount of power/boost, or if you HPDE/ road course lap your car often, and even then the stock one is alirigth. Even for people the go with a b-series swap like in 5th gen civics, only a del sol Dual core raditor is needed.

Thanks guys. I noticed on ebay that many companies were selling stock replacements for 75 or so and some shipping. I figure I could spare the change to upgrade to a all metal rad to reduce likelyhood of leaks.

Anyone get noticable MPG gains from an air intake on the CRX 1.5 motor? I could always use a few more MPG on deliveries.

Originally posted by Periculum@Aug 20 2004, 10:19 PM
Anyone get noticable MPG gains from an air intake on the CRX 1.5 motor? I could always use a few more MPG on deliveries.
[post=379979]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes on my '89 Civic DX, I got a little over 1 mile per gallon more than usual. Also when I swapped out the stock exaust, my gasmilage went up, but I never calculated it, but it was something small like a half mile per gallon. However I found that motor to get better than specified gas milage, I got over 35mpg on the freeway and like 30mpg in town. Now I get close to 39mpg on the freeway and 25mpg in town, but I have a modified 1.5l.

If you don't have to worry about emissions test you could remove the catalytic converter. It's what I did when my exhaust broke. I just cut it out of there and put a test pipe in it's place. I now get between 30 and 35 mpg in the city with my 90 si. I don't know what I get on the highway because I never drive it.

sounds like you are dirt poor, perhaps a college or HS student?

in that case you may want to try and rig it with plastic weld, or JB weld or anything like that...

whatever you do don't put stop leak in your cooling system though...

EDIT: you can also pick them up cheap at junk yards, perhaps even find one at a scrap yard that was recently installed...
good luck

I got a radiator from radiators.com for $99 overnighted for a Del Sol. They are wicked fast and really nice people. I'd definitely get it from them. As for the saving gas mileage, just turn into a slow ass on the road. I never noticed much of a gain from my 1.6L sohc when I got the intake, or the exhaust. I get 31-32 mpg driving in and out of town.

Maybe you can just alter the stock intake to have less intake vacuum before the air filter. Drill a larger hole in the resonator box.

I'm not necessarily dirt poor, but I do pay for almost everything, so I do like to save money in lots of ways. I dont like cheap quality but ill still go for inexpensive products. I got lucky and the guy who owned the CRX before me had an extra Si radiator. A buddy and I put it in earlier today and fits just fine. 50 bucks was all he wanted. So Im happy. Thanks

The only reason Ive wondered about little MPG gains is because driving 60-100 miles a day, adding a mile a gallon makes some money at the end of the week. This CRX alone halves my gas costs considering my other car gets 16-19 MPG.

Originally posted by Periculum@Aug 25 2004, 12:15 AM
The only reason Ive wondered about little MPG gains is because driving 60-100 miles a day, adding a mile a gallon makes some money at the end of the week. This CRX alone halves my gas costs considering my other car gets 16-19 MPG.
[post=381363]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't forget to grannyshift when you can. That makes a big difference in my teggy. On a full tank of gas (about 10.5gal)on the highway, it's varied from 275 to 351 miles. Watch your rpms!

Back