Diesel turbos on a honda ?!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SPEEDFREAK0920

I'm building a LS-V for boost :D. I'm running 9.0:1 cp pistons on eagle h-beams. A buddy of mine owns a shop and got a free Borg Warner IHI turbo that he said I could have. The turbo isn't to big and he said his buddy was going to run it on his Integra build.

I took the part # down and did some research and came up with; the turbo is off a 95-98 GM turbo diesel pick-up truck. They are OEM turbos off the 6.5liter motors :eek:!

My question is, has anyone ever ran a turbo off a diesel truck on their cars? Preferrably Honda guys (1.6-2.4 liter motors)? I'm just worried if this turbo is to big? My main concern is turbo lag. Will my 1.8 liter motor be able to spin this thing?

I plan to run E-85 and 10-15psi on the street and c16/q16 20+psi on the dyno/at the track. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks :thumbsup:

lot's of guys run holset hx35's and so on. those are all orig. sourced off turbo diesel trucks. if you can spool it, it will work. it all comes down to the exact turbo specs.

the problems I'm hearing is that diesel turbos are meant to spool at low operating rpm's. where-as my motor will be revving to 8k.

I did read about people running holset hx35's. I wonder what kind of truck they are off of?

thanks for the help

mostly dodge cummins i6's turbo diesels. a turbo is a turbo. these are all very big and will make big boost. you'll lag till 3500+ but then, hang on.

if you're looking for big power, they are good to use. if you're looking to run 6 psi and pick up 50whp, you're looking in the wrong size.

i'm looking for big power. well in the 400-500whp range on high boost and race gas. maybe more if the turbo and motor can handle it.

you should be fine using one of these then

B- as an admin. I appreciate your help. Ive been trying to do research on the exact specs of the turbo I have but I can't find much.

all i got is: BORG WARNER TURBO, GM-5/8 (stamped on it), off of 95-98 chevrolet diesel trucks.....

I personally think you could find better results with another turbo.... you also didn't mention that your block is sleeved, if it's not you should be gunning for 350 max, and in that case the turbo is way too big. you may want to consider the precision SC61 I built a motor for a friend similar to yours (non sleeved) and with e85 he was able to get in the 500hp range without a whole lot of lag. but because its not sleeved he knows its gonna blow up sooner then later, but the car for him is not a daily driver it mostly sits in his upholstery shop for pretty.

I know a guy who Ran A teggy with a turbo off a ford truck.he ran about 300-350hp on 13 lbs of boost.
I want to put a precision on my ej d-series

the turbo off a 6.5 chevy diesel truck is perfect for a small honda engine and there t3 flanged also some of them are even Dual Ball bearing. The turbos on those trucks are way to small for them from the factory there only good for about 350hp there very small

physically the turbo does not look big at all. nothing compared to my cousins 35r and almost the size of my stock evo turbo. it just has a bigger exhaust housing. I wish I could find the exact specs of the turbo.....

CUBISH on honda-tech has a built gsr turbo STOCK sleeves with a s6262 and made 700+whp at 27.x psi on race gas. its also his daily driver. it only sees big power on the track and dyno. That is exactly what I want to do. Run high boost/q16 on the dyno/track and run low boost on e-85 on the street. Will def. not be seeing high whp while daily driving it

physically the turbo does not look big at all. nothing compared to my cousins 35r and almost the size of my stock evo turbo. it just has a bigger exhaust housing. I wish I could find the exact specs of the turbo.....

CUBISH on honda-tech has a built gsr turbo STOCK sleeves with a s6262 and made 700+whp at 27.x psi on race gas. its also his daily driver. it only sees big power on the track and dyno. That is exactly what I want to do. Run high boost/q16 on the dyno/track and run low boost on e-85 on the street. Will def. not be seeing high whp while daily driving it

it dosent matter IF you can make 700WHP on stock sleeves. what matters is how long will it last?? I bet it sees 10 pulls at 700whp and becomes a nice paperweight.

you dont understand how much stress 700whp puts on the sleeves. and not to mention honda motors are open deck!

dont be a jackass :mad:

The odds are VERY good that you will blow up on stock sleeves over 500 whp. 7, you'll likely pop it on the first tuning pull.

not trying to be a jack ass. just thought i'd share one example

but i'm not trying to set any records. just want a 500whp car that will get me deep into the 11s. My car will only be seeing that 500whp, as stated, on race gas and high boost. more around the 350ish whp daily driving

i've been told that the turbo i have (gm-5/8 borg warner) is commonly used on hondas since it is rather small for being oem on 6.5liter chevy duramax. I have also been doing a lot of searching on Holset hx35 off of cummins 5.9 diesels. these make awesome power and really shine at 15+psi. making power all the way from 300whp on 1.8 gsr to 600+whp on built 2.0 dsm's. another plus is that they are dirt cheap. as low as $75bux on ebay and maybe even cheaper at the local junk yard. rebuild kits for these turbos are only $45bux also.

anyone ever dealt with any of these turbos? (gm-5/8 borg warner or holset hx35)

you dont need 500whp to go deep into the 11's.

im willing to bet you could get there @ ~400whp with good traction

well my goal is to hit a 10 but I just said 11's because I'm not to familiar with how much power I'm going to need to run those times. This motor is going in an EK Coupe. stripped interior but I do have power windows/locks/sunroof (its an EX)

if i was in a eg hatch or ef hatch i would be happy with 400whp and light enough to dip into the high 10's/low 11's. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what she does. I may throw a cage in it while im at it. but it will be my DD so I'm not sure on that part yet

actually by nhra specs its 11.99 for a roll bar and 11.49 for a 6pt cage there was talk of moving those to 11.49 and 10.99 but i dont believe it hasnt hapend yet

Back