difference between blocks?????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DarkSyde Design

quick question...how would i be able to tell the difference between a b16 block and a b18 block if the block was painted over?

b16 block is physically shorter than a b18 block (unless it's a b16b CTR)

I'm not sure if there are casting numbers anywhere else on the block, but if there are you can check them, pr4 pr3 p72 p75 p73 p30 etc. etc. if you can find them post them and someone will be able to tell you what you have
oil squirters are generally only a good way to tell if the block is vtec

b18c1, b18c SiR-G, b16a SiRII, b16a2, b16a3, b18c5 all have oil squirters from personal experience.

I would assume that the b16a SiR, b16b, b18c specR and b17 also have squirters but I have never had those, so I'm not 100%

The b18a and b18b do not have squirters that I have ever seen in my experience, and as far as any of the b20s I have no clue, but assume they don't

i thought all vtec motors had oil squirters.. :shrug2:

hell.. i dont know for sure..

i figured they did because you need to add those to the LS block to run a vtec head

why dont you just sand down were the code is with some fine sand paper??its worth a shot instead of dicken around...good luck

hell.. i dont know for sure..

i figured they did because you need to add those to the LS block to run a vtec head

Wait wait wait, oil squirters are located at the bottom of the cylindrs, they look like upside down spigots (the thing your garden hose hooks to on your house) they point at the bottom of the piston and act as a cooling source for keeping combustion chamber and piston temps down for the higher compression vtec engines. anyway, you canot install them on an LS block because there is no oil passage to tap into on the LS block
i think that you may be thinking of something else, oil squirters are very much different than an LS/Vtec kit.

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/acura/jsp/mws/catimgs/13st70_e1401.gif
/\pic of type R engine b18c5
lower right hand corner numbers 14 and 15
Honda Automotive Parts
/\pic of 95 del sol vtec (b16a3) same location in pic, numbers 13 and 14
Honda Automotive Parts
/\pic of 2000 civic si (b16a2) same location in pic numbers 11 and 12

the b17 also has the squirters

These should clear up a few things :)

these links are taken from Acura Parts @ AcuraAutomotiveParts.org - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Acura Carland and Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store these are great sites for parts, and the exploded views can help with just about anything honda.

why dont you just sand down were the code is with some fine sand paper??its worth a shot instead of dicken around...good luck

If that doesn't work you an always take it to a place that can do 3d imaging xrays on the block in order to read the impressions from the original stamping, it is the same thing that the police use to read serial numbers off guns that had said serial numbers filed off, during the original stamping of the block it would make impressions that can be seen by the xray machine, even if you file it flat the impression goes alot deeper. It would prolly be really expensive to do that tho, if you live near albany NY you can bring the block to me and I can tell you what it is.

it's ok, usually you are right on the ball with everything else :)
most of that was for blanco, usually he is really good with info too, I figured he would have known about the squirters, just more info for all I guess

thanks guys for all the help. i've been really busy with all the powdercoating and painting business. but i will chk for those casting numbers first thing in in the morning. i know there's a Y above the square where the block series is stamped on, if that gives anyone a clue. i've put some aircraft stripper on the block and stripped all the paint away. i came to realize the stamp was etched off. so all i got off of it was a b and a 1. lol..so i was back at square one.

yah, the p54 number is not specific to any block,
have you been able to fugure out if the engine is vtec yet or not? once you figure out if it's even a vtec engine, then you can measure the deck height like blanco said, then you would know if it's a 1.8 or a 1.6 Another way to tell what size the engine is would be to measure the stroke of the engine, if there is a crank rods and pistons all you do it measure from the deck down to the piston, if there are no pistons, then you need to measure from the inside of the cylinder from where the rings made their marks on the cylinder wall, take that measurement and subtract 12mm (that is about the space between the top compression ring and the bottom oil ring)
Either way, take the measurement, subtract 12mm, and you should have stroke

the engine is vtec. it has a b16 head on it and b16 tranny. its all put together and still in the drag car. the guy painted the block black and scratched the stamp off. why..i don't know. he told me it was a b18c block, but i wanted to make sure myself. i appreciate all the info and help guys. ok so from what i understand the head would have to be off to take any type of measurements, right? or can i still measure?

Back