Differences betwen b18a1 and b18b1

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Just so you know from the referance materials.

F22A1 2156 135@5200 142@4500 8.8:1 85 95 dohc no 1 or 2 1992-1996 Prelude S
F22B 2156 160@6000 148@5000 9.2:1 85 95 dohc no 1 or 2 1992-1996 Prelude Si

I looked for weight differences and I dident see anything on it.

those are JDM motors..and well, i live in the US, so i have no clue whats in the cars in Japan.. .. herein the US, the f22a/b are sohc

I Agree, every f22 I have seen have all been sohc, as well as the f23, the only f I have seen that is dohc is the f20, and that's not really the same as the other f series engines.
as far as a reliable turbo setup goes for an EF you would be best to go with a b-series for ease of installation and avaliability of parts, The H series engines in my opinion are a waste of time due to the amount of time, effort and modification it takes for the installation and the actual weight of the engine for the amount of horsepower.
All in all it boils down to what parts you put in the engine, if you get it sleeved or not, and how well it is tuned, that right there is what is going to determine reliability.

Just so you know from the referance materials.

F22A1 2156 135@5200 142@4500 8.8:1 85 95 dohc no 1 or 2 1992-1996 Prelude S
F22B 2156 160@6000 148@5000 9.2:1 85 95 dohc no 1 or 2 1992-1996 Prelude Si

I looked for weight differences and I dident see anything on it.

I can tell you for a fact that the f22a is sohc. I'm looking at a webpage about them with a pic and everything. I'm almost positive that the only dohc f's are the f20c f20b and the f24c which i believe they used for newer s2ks. If not it was f22c. And my reference says that the f22b is sohc vtec. So I dont know who your reference is but i have a feeling its wrong. I'm not trying to start an argument but I'm just letting you know you might have things backwards.

Edit:these are all JDM motors as well.

Last edited:
sohc or dohc. That swap wont be easy in an ef. A b series is the way to go on it. It will be an easier install. If i remember correctly, f's and h's aren't good to boost unless you resleeve. You can prolly get away with ten pounds on a b18b and make your goal. I guess it really depends on your budget. How much did you want to spend?

I mentioned earlyer that its gonna be a long term project so.

As for the referances, they were the referances right here on HS.

I think you might want to snap back to reality for a second. You want to spend three years building an engine for a Honda?

yah, by that time we won;t be able to afford gas. The cool thing will be motor swaps in our insights and not engine swaps in our Eks

I would just stick with a b18a or b18b since they are very similar. I know you don't want vtec but ls/vtecs if done correctly can run a long time and run great at that. Just imo. If you don't want vtec go get a stock b18b or a, rebuild it have it machined and everything get some nice pauter rods and cp piston or whatever you like do some minor head work to it port match everything get an aftermarket intake and a turbo and you can get a good amount of power it all really depends on what your budget is for a cheaper setup you can run cheaper parts from good companies and still make lots of power so you don't always have to go the expensive route. My friend has a completely stock ls turbo and he is running about 300hp with no problems with a gt28. So either way Gl

Last edited:
Back