Dimming Headlights

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

im going down to my friends shop today, so ill work on it there, ill post back later

3 hours is long enough...did it work?????????????????

I'll be getting my car back today...in 2 hours...I'll try the same thing. And if it doesn't work, I'm cutting it!

okay, so i checked out all of my grounds and everything seems to be in working order. i cleaned the ground for the headlights and then took it for a drive, my brother nor i could see that they were dimming. Ill try again tonight as i will have a longer drive.

alright, everything seems to be good to go, drove over 100 miles last night with the headlights on and did not see them dim out once. Dont know exactly what fixed it. I also removed the negative battery connection cleaned it and put it back on. maybe its a temporary fix maybe it will last, ill hope for the latter.

DOOH! I looked for the alt-c wire but its hard to tell which one to cut. I'll reground my batt. today and see what happens.

okay, scratch that, its back to doing the same thing again. Its strange cuz it only acts up (gets dim) when Im below 2800 rpms, when Im above it, it is as bright as can be. I really dont want to cut my ALT-C wire as many of my mechanic friends do not think that it is a good idea. I guess its back to the drawing board.

we've got an alt c and an alt f that look to do the same thing. I'll try cutting the alt c today. I'll get a new alt if this one goes.

Same problem.... These are what seems to be common to all people with this problem..:

1. 96-00 Civic
2. AC is removed

The alt-c wire has this description :
"
PIN A-19,
White/grn wire,
Sends alternator control signal,
With a fully warmed up engine running - battery voltage,
During driving with small electrical load - 0 volts
"

I definately think that just cutting this wire is not a good solution.....

Perhaps since the AC is disconected power is being lost to it somehow...

I took mine out by cutting the wires to the condenser and leaving them not connected... maybe they should be

I will do some experimenting and try to figure this out.... its probably not something bad but it is irritating to have the headlights dim and brighten all the time.

DAMN YOU! TaKE it out so we can act like we're getting somewhere with this. Screw it, I'm going to cut that wire anyway. I'll let you know if it blows up...or if you don't hear from me soon, it did! :)

im not planning on taking the alt-c wire out, there has to be another way to solve this problem.

yep...removing alt-c works. i've already ordered another alt just in case this one goes. if you find another way, let me know and I'll try that.

Back