1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Alignment

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by bcman, Mar 4, 2004.

1. bcman

bcman Senior Member

Hey everybody,
    I've been doing some reading on how you can alter alignment settings to affect performance. Does anyone know if it's possible to adjust a 1995 Civic's Caster and/or front camber, even if only slightly? Are there any tricks (i.e, placing washers behind mounting bolts), or would I have to buy aftermarket kits?

2. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Toe on the front is easy, just turn the tierod. Camber on the other hand in hte front could only be made positive with washers because of how the suspension sits. To get negative camber, you'd have to get adjustable upper A arms, like the Skunk2's, but I don't recommend them because the metal is very thin at the adjustment point, and I have heard of several peoples failing them. Ingalls has those and also an adjustable ball joint, that is much better design.

3. ticklemedaly

ticklemedaly Junior Member

if you want a proper alignment, take it in, they are cheap as hell and worth the cost of taking it in, dont do it yourself, you'll never get it done properly. an alignment costs as cheap as $40

4. ticklemedaly

ticklemedaly Junior Member

btw, if the camber is bad, you have to buy a kit, do that yourself, but dont try to align it. caster is almost never able to be corrected without replacing parts.

5. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

do a search under E_SolSi
    he wrote up a huge thing on diy alignments not too long ago

6. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

7. 98civicsedan

98civicsedan Member

You can't do an alignment correctly yourself. thats what the big computer is for and those shiny things that bolt to your wheels that go with the computer

8. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

bullshit

please just shut the fuck up if you dont know what the fuck you are talking about

kthanxbye

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted