DIY portandpolish

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolLess16

im gunna try and portand polish m d16z6 head in a couple days and wanted to know some tips - can i get some specs on how much to grind - any help would be apreciated - thanks

the shop doing it just cleans it up, they dont
"grind" that is for the head surface, if u want to increase C/R get the head machined, try 10 thousand, but the shop should know what u can SAFELY go to. also while u have the head off its a good idea to replace the valve seals and guides.

We actually try'd this before, except it was on the 1.6 non vtec head. I suggest using a Dremel kit...it worked out alright for us. You probably wanna search more on this topic before going ahead and actually doing it. Kinda like call around shops and ask how and what they actually do for a port n polish. If it's a first try, i suggest doing it on a bare unused head first, just to see how the results would be or have a feel for things.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

I wouldn't use the grinder to remove the intake manifold gasket if I was them. Not on an aluminum Honda cylinder head anyway.

do this, dyno a base line run wiht the head stock, take the car home, grind up the head and put it back together, if you gain anything post it up for jor skillzz..

I suggest letting someone who has years of experience to do this, that is why it costs a good amount to have the head port and polished, it sounds much easier than it realy is.

Without porting experience and a flow bench you will-

1) Have even more uneven air flow per cyl than you have now. Some rich, some lean.

2) Potentially ruin your head

3) Have a head meant to flow more air than you can provide and it won't run for shit below 3 or 4 grand.

BUT, if you mussst, Summit racing sells afforbable kits with various roll cartidges for port work. You're best bet is to just try polishing first. Not too smooth, this is bad too. Think like why golf balls fly farther with dimples. I practice on a shot head now and would not even consider touching one of any value to me for many moons. Any Honda dealer will have a pile of blown engines in the back that they just trash, go ask the Service manager if he minds if you snatch one. They just have to pay to have them hauled off anyway, unless he is an exceptional prick- you'll have your practice head. ;) Good luck.

Back