Does anyone own a 97-98 240sx?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Hexen@Aug 13 2003, 06:11 PM
I know they changd the body from 95-96 slightly to the 97-98 look (shown),

you are correct. that is a usdm front end. on a newwer body style of the s14. the models were not different, the years were.

there's more room than you think behind there dude.... you cant fit a cooler in there.

Originally posted by zombie@Aug 13 2003, 11:18 PM
http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.net/ I'm getting sick of seeing SR20DET y0...wtf the ka can be turbo also... There is also a CA18DET, oh wait how bout an RB20det...........I really truely think that RWD and Drifting is the new "rice" now...

the ca is old... very old.

rb25det > rb20det > sr20det blacktop > sr20det redtop > ca > ka24

of course, thats my opinion.

I just bought nissantech.com

site coming soon :)

I like the 240s and all, they are just getting really popular really quick. Its just one more huge fad to come. I wanted a 240 to swap the Sr20, But fuck now everyone has the same idea.

yeah yeah.... but theres 353465334 civics out there, and we still dirve 'em

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 14 2003, 03:13 AM
well, what then?

i guess its the fact that everyone and their mom now wants to be drifters, its like JDM became rice... now that drifting is all over the import mags, everyone is trying to buy a 240 so can drift it...

I don't want to be a drifter, although drifting is a cool sport... MrBlk and I go out to the industrial park out here and throw our cars around sometimes.

So is rally and I'd never do that in my damn life.

I'm just thinking... with my money situation I could (for the same amount of money)

a) buy honda, $4000, b18b $2200, mounts $600, tubo system $3000, internals (rest of budget).

or

B) buy 240sx $7000-$8500, s14 sr20det $3000

I'd have a classier car that not a lot of people have.
Rear wheel drive.
And probably more power with just the swap.

For the $11,000 or so I'm willing to spend I couldn't get a Supra or Rx-7... not that I would trust myself with one anyhow.
Don't get me wrong, a 94-95 Rx-7 is my dream car (93 doesn't have passenger side airbags, which i would want since I don't want to kill my girlfriend or passenger in case of accident), but I think thats to much car for me right now. Maybe later in life.

What other rear wheel imports are there? That aren't $30,000+ that is.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 13 2003, 11:39 PM

the ca is old... very old.

rb25det > rb20det > sr20det blacktop > sr20det redtop > ca > ka24

The reason I would go for the s14 sr20det is that it's a drop in swap.

Sure the s15 is a 6 speed... but I've read forums and websites of people just having nightmares getting it in and running.
I'm not willing to go through that for the 30 or so more horses it produces.
Plus it requires mounts I think.

The rb25det is a cantidate but also requires mounts (same with the rb20).

The redtop is the s13 and just is not the correct generation (not to mention less horses). Then the Ka24 sure is tempting with its 2.4 litre, but in all honesty, the engine wasnt built for performance.

Making the s14 probably cheaper than either RB series not including the headache of trying to get one in.
It's just the most sensible swap, thats why its so popular.

Originally posted by Hexen@Aug 14 2003, 03:25 PM

I still say you can find a 240 for cheaper..unless they're just that rare where you live. If you haven't been reading, they're turning into the new fad, so if not a lot of people have it now they will soon.

other rwd imports...try an MR2 or an old corolla

Originally posted by silver+Aug 14 2003, 05:12 PM-->
@Aug 14 2003, 03:25 PM

I still say you can find a 240 for cheaper..unless they're just that rare where you live. If you haven't been reading, they're turning into the new fad, so if not a lot of people have it now they will soon.

other rwd imports...try an MR2 or an old corolla

I refuse to drive an old corolla.

And the mr2's don't interest me either.

And yes they seem to be rare where I live. I might see one a week or so.
I live in the bay area in northern cali also. It's not like I don't see thousands of cars every day... I see more supra's and Rx-7's than 240s.

What ever happened to just modding and driving for fun, all this fucking rice this and rice that conversations are stupid, dumb, and pointless. So what if people want a 240 and swap a SR20 and go drifting. If you don't like it then don't fucking do it.

They are getting popular for a reason, RWD, great swap candidates, abundance of transplants. Yes the K series can be made into a turbo motor but the SR can handle much more in stock form.

Yes, that picture is a usdm 240, and also so you know you can get the s13 red/black top to go into your s14 chassis and it does fit, yes the s14 might have a littler more hp but that is really becuase of varialbe valve timing on the intake side and the larger turbo, 20 extra hp isn't worth 1g in the final price to be honest. Plus the S13 motor was so popular in the 180sx that in japan they decided to keep making them so if you get a s13 black top they can be pretty young motors.

RB is a great swap, and you can use the stock mounts to work in an s13 chassis or you can get aftermarket mount kit from mckinney motorsports for a decent price tag. I think the rb20det is an old motor and in stock form your talking about a small difference in hp but yes you do have the added 2 cylinders but you also have that nasty intake manny which i am sure you will want to upgrade in the future, the rb25's have that also. The intake manny from greddy costs 1g alone.

Me, personally, my hatch is for sale and I did post a topic about me considering buying a 240 and doing some type of swap becuase it seemed different from what I have always been doing, fun, and shall I say this again, fun fun fun. I also will be doing more drifting once I get my next new ride and I hope it's going to be rwd this time :) but that doesn't make me any different from someone who has been doing it 5 years or so. I have followed the scene for atleast 2 years, thanks slide squad, and always wanted to give it a try and now with more support from the sport I am going full force into it soon.

But with that said, we are in this sport of automobile fun for ourselves mostly and not to please others who either wish they had certain setups or believe that thier idea of modifieing cars was original.

Rice or Not, 240 is a great ride, I say go for it and don't bother with what otehrs think, just do what you want and you can't go wrong.

Milan

Back