dpfi to mpfi experiences

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

peanut

Was planning this swap for a long time, a personal mission you can call it but wondered about the experiences of anyone who performed the swap with either the si ecu pm6, integra ecu pg7 or pm7. Which has more power, tell me about your setups, complementing camshaft/head swaps? How about gasoline mileage? Any precautions to be taken?

I am currently attached with a workhorse d15b dpfi, my very first car when I was in the dumps and got to know my first gf. There is no need to swap to a b-series or anything because I already have another car more powerful and controllable than any n.a. b or k series.

Even though the dpfi power was hyped suck, I still managed a consistently solid 37mpg in mixed hway & city driving in hot weather. It still provides some decent acceleration when you need it, but do not expect to leave any significant amount of rubber behind.

My other car is only getting around 11mpg through the same routine and with more expensive 100oct fuel.

Therefore I like to know whether any you guys got an issue after swapping to mpfi with the same engine head/block setup.

Anyone???......... :sleep:

Originally posted by peanut@Nov 3 2003, 10:25 AM
Even though the dpfi power was hyped suck, I still managed a consistently solid 37mpg in mixed hway & city driving in hot weather. It still provides some decent acceleration when you need it, but do not expect to leave any significant amount of rubber behind.

My other car is only getting around 11mpg through the same routine and with more expensive 100oct fuel.

Therefore I like to know whether any you guys got an issue after swapping to mpfi with the same engine head/block setup.

Anyone???......... :sleep:

Just curious. What you done with your other car and what car is it?

About the conversion theres a how - to section at www.4thgenerationcivic.com

I've gone through almost all the dpfi-mpfi sites. My case is unique because I have a 92-95 JDM Civic EG8 with a DPFI engine. The ecu is dated in 1992. It is OEM. Anyway experiences of you guys here are more valuable than 'textbook' explanantions.

My other car is not a Honda and is not relevant in the forum. However it is a gift from my wife, OEM, naturally aspirated, running on flat 6 and drinks. I only take it out once in a while to clear the rust on the disc rotors.

So anyone has dpfi-mpfi experiences with no major engine mod? Any contributions are welcome.

Originally posted by mellowboy@Nov 3 2003, 11:34 PM
this is a 4th gen forum. Go to 5th gen genius. I was tryin to help but oh well ....

if i went on to 5th gen, I would get

"this is a 5th gen forum. Go to 4th gen genius. who told you to come in here...." :p

this is the right forum because engine's 4th gen, chassis is 5th gen. The topic is for the engine not the EG8 shell. DPFI D15B2 belongs in the 4th gen category. Besides i cannot gather much feedbacks in the 5th gen as there are no dpfi to mpfi swap related topics there.

So go ahead and contribute....

THE ARTICLE ON THE FOURTH GEN SITE IS ACTUALLY PRETTY EASY TO FOLLOW. WE FOLLOWED THEIR INSTRUCTIONS AND HAD NO REGRETS. ALL WIRES NEEDED TO GO FROM DPFI TO MPFI ARE ALREADY IN THE COMPUTER. BASICALLY ANYONE WITH A PAIR OF WIRE CRIMPERS AND SOME BUTT CONNECTORS AND HALF A BRAIN CAN DO THE WIRING SWAP.

well man you cannot run the pm6, pm7, or pg7, as they are OBD0 ecu's and it sounds like your car is OBD1. So unless you want to do some pointless rewiring of your car you should not care about those ecu's. If i were you I would do a full vtec head swap, so that you can run something like a p28 ecu. I did an MPFI swap on my d15b2, and it was the best 200 bucks I have ever spent on a car mod.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Nov 6 2003, 03:40 PM
well man you cannot run the pm6, pm7, or pg7, as they are OBD0 ecu's and it sounds like your car is OBD1. So unless you want to do some pointless rewiring of your car you should not care about those ecu's. If i were you I would do a full vtec head swap, so that you can run something like a p28 ecu. I did an MPFI swap on my d15b2, and it was the best 200 bucks I have ever spent on a car mod.

True, i would like the vtec but I cannot do so because it is a dpfi d15b2 with obd0 wiring and ecu in an eg8 chassis. Have you guys ever seen an obd0 ecu dated on the housing of the ecu as 92.3.12 ? I bet it is the last of the obd0 ecus.

I've visited the 4thgen site, it was this site that given me the inspiration for the swap. However when I lifted off the carpet at the passenger footwell and saw my ecu wiring, i had this look :blink: The wire color coding described on any sites was somewhat different from this ecu. It was a confusing event but I managed to sort it out and thanks to some of the guys here, i managed to avert some major 'fireworks' by not choosing an obd1 dizzy for the dp-mpfi swap with an obd0 ecu.

BTW 200 bucks for the mpfi swap is damn worth it. Besides the swap what else did you change? Camshaft? What ecu did you use?

Back