1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dude Really??? broken spark plugs

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by mynumber1hater, Sep 28, 2009.

1. mynumber1hater

mynumber1hater New Member

Ya i broke off 2 plugs in my b16 head, just the threads are left in the head.
    LMK what to do guys... Any help would be great...

Maybe a big EZout with some PB blaster??? If thats what i have to do what size EZout?

2. RoughKnight

RoughKnight Christmas Car

Oh shit that is bad...I broke a plug ones with the threads still inside
    me and my father found a tool (looks like a metal three pronged fork with the middle one being longer, pure metal) and jammed it in there. Then we attached another piece of steel to the top end, and turned it as hard as we could. After 20 mins it came out, and we found out the original tool we had used was turned almost 540 degrees. So good luck. Never heard of EZout, but whatever your plan is, be careful.

3. mynumber1hater

I have used them (EZout) in the past for smaller bolts that you drill out. Its kind of hard to explain, its like a drill bit but shaped like a cone, and as you turn it to the right it bites into the hole and turns left to losen..

4. mynumber1hater

5. RoughKnight

RoughKnight Christmas Car

Hope it works for you. Either way, just jam something in there that grips the threads and loosen that bitch up.

6. 91_stylin_civic

91_stylin_civic Member

There is a ford tool for the 5.4L engines for removing broken plugs. I am not sure of the tool number but they almost always break when you try to remove them. Tool is pretty easy to use just follow the directions if you can get ahold of one. Autozone or Advanced may have a tool you can rent as well. Let us know how you make out with it and good luck

7. mynumber1hater

Ya i priced that tool... WOW!!!!

1. im going to try the old school route.. Lots of lube, aka PB blaster for a day or 2, while thats soaking in im going to put my BFing screwdriver in the freezer, so when it comes time to do the deed it gets the sparkplug threads cold...
    2. Ezout
    3. pull the DANG head...

8. 78civic

78civic Junior Member

SO it broke right under the hex on the plug?? I've never seen that. I've seen the insulator come out from them but the hex was still there.
    The "E-Z out" actually forces outward as it digs in to grab the internal hole, so be careful not to gaul the aluminum threads..
    You might go to an ice cream shop and get some dry ice, break it up in small chips and drop them down the hole.. Keep it up for a while and then use the ez-out. (remember, it turns counter clock wise)

OR, use a soldering iron and just let it sit in there heating it up. But both ways PB blaster or Kroil works well.
    If all else fails, pull head, and if you can get a 'good' body saw, cut it toward the threads in a couple of spots and pull the parts out. Hopefully not cutting the threads.

E

9. mynumber1hater

Spray it with some lube tonight and Im going to give it a shot in the morning.... i will post up tomorrow.

10. Ronny Cage

Ronny Cage DaughterTestedMomApproved

ive found several ways and tricks to get them out... obviously some work and some dont... I have a EXTREMELY long pair of needle nose vice grips that I can clip and grip and twist which have gotten me out of a bind 10+ times.

goto a shop and talk to a snap on dealer, they had a tool I used on a b series once. It was like 100$ or so. theres a ton of specialty tools for this I get a weekly catalog at my shop I'll price more when Im off vacation but update us tommorow.

11. mynumber1hater

12. Ethan

Ethan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use a EZout... iv seen a couple people have this issue and the EZout always broke off. it ends up expanding the treads and jamming them worse.

13. mynumber1hater

Ya i know, i have broken a few... I dont think this wil be to bad.. little lube and they should come right out.. There is nothing left to apply pressure to the threads, the hex is gone... BUT YOU NEVER KNOW!!!!:cool:

14. josh_crewdson@y

josh_crewdson@y New Member

That's why i always take em' out when the engine's hot.. Good luck man

15. mynumber1hater

IDK...about that.:D thanks

16. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

Thats nota good idea either because you run the risk of pulling the threads out of the head with the plug.

17. 78civic

78civic Junior Member

How would that pull the threads out? I've never had that happen. I guess if it's really hot. Like hot enough to chang it's eutectic properties or grain structure. But who knows.. It might happen. It's probably just a good lesson to ALWAYS lube your hole and what youre putting in it.
    E

18. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

Happened on my friends XR50, and its just something my old man has told me not to do since I was young. I think that people have a tendency to over-tighten plugs too.

19. boostin4fun

boostin4fun Boosted ls/vtec ohh yeah!

Im the same way. I absolutely never pull plugs out when the engine is still warm. Its not a good idea in my opinion.

20. mynumber1hater

There is the plan soak in pb blaster a couple days, then try and use an EZout... If that does not work, pull the head. These are pics of the problem and MAYBE fix. I cut an old plug to get an idea of what size EZout to use..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted