ECU Question, please help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tvadakia

Ok, first off: hello! Glad to meet you all. This is my first post here.

I just bought a 1999 Honda Civic LX. I like the car, but am unhappy with the horsepower. It has, as I'm sure most of you know, a D16y7 and I beleive it has an OBD2B for an ECU.

So you know, I'm a noob... in fact, this is my first mechanically inclined endeavor ever. I'm more of a computer geek.

Anyway, I did some research and have chosen to swap engines, and I went for a pricier one, the B18c5. Am I going to have issues with my particular ECU? Can I / should I swap my ECU for something else?

Also, later on down the road I plan on installing a turbo and everything else that goes with. Since I know my ECU isn't programmable or chipable, what should I do so I can tune my car when the time comes? I'd like to prepare for that day at the same time as my engine swap.

Any ideas?

well you can get an obd2 to obd1 jumper and run obd1 electronics..but you cant pass emissions with it like that...you can get a piggyback and tune on that(like aem ems)

piggybacks suck imo, and in most people's opinion
the c5 is a sexy motor, and bolting up a b to a ek is already been done a million times...
so use the search function and find one of the 107273918 threads covering it. We even have a dedicated section about hybrid swaps, so that would be a first start :)

Back