Ef m.p.g?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jmende13

I have read threads where they talk about getting 30-36 mpg in their ef. In MY ef I am not getting near that, im getting around 22 in city. So my question is what can I do to improve my m.p.g.? I have a cold air intake and everything else is stock.

Injector flush, tune-up, spark plugs, plug wires, rotor, cap, fuel filter..... basically just maintain your car. I got 40mpg highway and 30mpg city in my 88 LX sedan.

This may sound stupid, but what is an injector flush? Just adding fuel injector cleaner/ fuel system cleaner to my gas tank and zipping along? :confused:

That's the easy way if your injectors aren't totally hosed up- give it a try first. Good garages can remove your injectors and clean them out way better than a few bottles of injector cleaner, but it costs more- not much more, but it does cost more.

That's the easy way if your injectors aren't totally hosed up- give it a try first. Good garages can remove your injectors and clean them out way better than a few bottles of injector cleaner, but it costs more- not much more, but it does cost more.

Can't I just remove them and clean them myself? I've replace injectors on my brother's Saturn and I would think as Long as I''m careful with the o-rings I'm good as gold, right?

What cleaners or how is the prefered methond, let them soak in a bucket of *insert cleaner here* for an hour then pop them in? (not to let the o rings soak or they will crack and become brittle.)

Shops use special techniques/process to clean injectors; though if you want to do them yourself I've seen people rig up a unit to just spray fuel injector cleaner through them after soaking them in a cleaning solution.

This is an example of what process shops use:
WitchHunter Performance said:
1) Injectors are externally cleaned, visual inspected, and numbered.

2) Test injectors for resistance, shorts, and current draw.

3) Perform leak test, spray pattern, and flow rate testing on our flow bench. Record the results.

4) Remove filter baskets, o-rings, and pintle caps. Bead-blast any loose paint and rust from the metal injector body.

5) The injectors are placed in our first ultrasonic cleaning tank to remove and any particles, dirt, etc that may contaminate the next two cleaning processes.

6) Into a second ultrasonic tank they go, they are now cycled on and off allowing the ultrasonic energy to dislodge any particles and build-up inside the injectors.

7) The injectors are now placed in our third ultrasonic tank for additional cleaning using a different cleaning solution. Once again they are being cycled on and off. Our three tank process insures proper results.

8) A high pressure back-flush is done to remove any particles inside.

9) Back to the flow bench for retesting of spray pattern, flow rate, and leak checking. This test data is also recorded

10) Install new filter baskets, o-rings, and pintle caps (where applicable)

11) Prepare a comprehensive test report with before and after test data. The injectors are then packed along with the old parts for return.

The going rate for these types of tests are about $17-$20 per injector.

Last edited:
Back