EF9 tuning.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Alpine

I have a 90 Civic Si with a basicaly stock D16A6. I was wanting to tune it up. I'm not looking to run a 9, just fast enough to stomp ass on all the ricers and people who think all civics are ricers. I was thinking of saving up and swaping for a B16B, but do you think tuning the engine in it would be fast enough? I'm pretty much clueless about tuning.

Well, I'm not planing on doing this overnight. I'll go out on a limb and say $5000, piece at a time.

I was planing to do a lot of research. I'm probably going to plan out everything I'll do to it before I ever start building. I'm thinking about a mini-me.

If you want cheap power, consider doing a stock-spec rebuild(basically just rings and bearings), and turbocharging it. You could have a 0 mile motor with a snail stuck to the exhaust manifold for wellllll under 3-4000

I've heard a lot of people say swap to a B16, B18 or an H22 but I don't really know if I want to spend that kind of money or time on a car I don't plan to make just a race car.

Like I said, I'd just go with a stock rebuild and a small turbo setup. it'll be plenty fast, and you'll still have great drivability.

Cheap, easy(after reading so much info that your eyes start bleeding), and will make for a great daily driver.

I was digging around on Google and found a supercharger for it. But would a turbo be a better idea?

I saw the super and thought it'd be nice to have one on my civic but everyone I've talked to said get the turbo.

Noone mentioned the "mini-me".
Take a D16Z6 SOHC VTEC head and mate it to your block. It will give you a good amount of ponys.
Itll be pretty cheap dont even think itll reach $1k and still maintain a great MPG.

If you're going turbo, go for the Y7 head :). No need to wire VTEC, and you'll end up with the larger valves and ports.

Yea, that's if you use the stock rod. Tuner Toys sells D16 H-beam rods for like ~$200 IIRC. Other options include bushed and milled LS rods, or milled LS rods with PDN pistons.

it's a risk you take.
if you get them cleaned up and shot-peened, you won't have to worry as much about it snapping, but it's still a very smart idea to get new ones.
rods aren't cheap, but it's worth it.

how hard as in... how hard is it to produce those #'s, or how hard is it on the drive-train?

A good turbo setup and a GREAT tune will get those kinds of numbers all-day-long. however, you can't expect the motor to last very long when pushing it to the limit like that.

It'd be aweosome to run times like that in a SOHC. Personaly though I'd do everything I could think of to withstand that before I tuned it like that.

I probably will build it. I'm not sure where to start on it though. I'll probably but a turbo on it last. And if I ever do need a new engine, for whatever reason, I'll probalby put a B into it.

I have a cold air intake and I think its a performance exhaust. With a mini me would that put me close to 150? And I also heard I could make a homemade turbo kit from the one out of the 1st or 2nd gen Talon and Eclipse. Should I worry about cooling or ignition?

Back