EG Engine Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtfastj

Ok here is the deal. I'm looking and am going to buy a 92-95 hatch or 93 up Del Sol and was wondering what engine would be ideal to drop into either. I know all B series engines will fit in either and a Type-R motor is top dog for the most part. But I would like to turbo charge my motor and I dont think a Type-R motor will work very well turbocharged. Would an H-22 work well with turbocharging? And how hard is it to swap a H-22 into either the EG hatch or 93 Del Sol.

Thanks

David

H22 is a torquey bitch thats hard to swap in, and a Type R has high compression. For turbo when people build engines they use low comression pistons (8.5:1-10:1) so a type R would be a waste of money. I suggest swapping a LS engine, and If you want VTEC do a LS/VTEC and turbo that....

You talk like you have an endless amount of money. If you have enough for a swap, car and turbo... then i would skip the civic and buy a nicer car. Thats my opinion but thats also why i have a civic :D And i just noticed you posted up your "kills" in a del sol. Why have 2 of them and an srt4??? Man you must be loaded buying 3 cars.

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@Jan 1 2005, 07:10 PM
H22 is a torquey bitch thats hard to swap in, and a Type R has high compression. For turbo when people build engines they use low comression pistons (8.5:1-10:1) so a type R would be a waste of money. I suggest swapping a LS engine, and If you want VTEC do a LS/VTEC and turbo that....
[post=439911]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok sounds fun. Does the H22 work well with turbocharging? I doubt the power can be as bad as in my SRT. I love torquey engines one of the reasons I bought my SRT in the first place.

yea, it works well turboed. My friend had a H22 in an EG, then he turboed it, and , it was quick, but it had too much torque, and a lot of weight in the front, and it didnt like tires very much....
I say forget the civic, build the SRT.

Originally posted by FearDaGreenCivic@Jan 1 2005, 07:12 PM
You talk like you have an endless amount of money. If you have enough for a swap, car and turbo... then i would skip the civic and buy a nicer car. Thats my opinion but thats also why i have a civic :D
[post=439912]Quoted post[/post]​

A nicer car like what? Del Sol si go for about 5 grand, H-22 motor for about 3-4 grand, Turbocharging anywhere from 4-8 grand.

That puts me at about 17 grand give or take. The fastest car for that price brand new is a SRT-4. I already have one of those. add a little bit of money to that and I could buy a WRX or EVO. I hate awd in vehicles like that. I want a top off car so I'm buying a Del Sol. I dont like miatas and all the other cars cost just a little to much...

You  talk like you have an endless amount of money. If you have enough for a swap, car and turbo... then i would skip the civic and buy a nicer car. Thats my opinion but thats also why i have a civic  :D And i just noticed you posted up your "kills" in a del sol. Why have 2 of them and an srt4??? Man you must be loaded buying 3 cars.

I have a SRT-4 and as soon as I get the title a Del Sol. thats 2 not 3. I'm not loaded but I have no bills to pay for. I'm in the military so I know I will always have a pay check on the first and the fifteenth. In a few years I may own another car but thats beside the point.

cycloneb18c3 my SRT is for the most part build. The only thing it doesn't have yet is the mopar stage 3 upgrade. At the track I run a very traction limited 12.9. I love my SRT-4 but the only down side is that the top doesn't come off. Thats were the Del Sol comes in. When I'm done with the Del Sol I want it to be as fast as my SRT if not faster...

Last night after the ball dropped me and a few buddy took out the Del Sol. Its a 93 and just had everything redone on the car. I raced another Del Sol and a Crx SI. From a roll I got the jump on everyone but the Crx inched passed me at about 110-120. The other del sol didn't even have a chance. Next race was from a dead stop against me and the other sol. I over revved and spun all the way thru first and into second while still leaving the other del sol. It was pretty neat. While it doesnt have the power of my SRT its still fun to drive and the top comes off. Cant wait to get an engine swap done.
So wait this is your other post... So you have a del sol with no title i guess and u drivr it. Then you have an srt4, and you want to buy another 5th gen civic or del sol. So you tell me where i am wrong? And what is not to like about awd and turboed? exactly my point. Life is not all about living your life a quarter mile at a time my friend. Grow up and learn something from the military and stop talking out of your butt :D

Originally posted by FearDaGreenCivic@Jan 1 2005, 07:31 PM
Last night after the ball dropped me and a few buddy took out the Del Sol. Its a 93 and just had everything redone on the car. I raced another Del Sol and a Crx SI. From a roll I got the jump on everyone but the Crx inched passed me at about 110-120. The other del sol didn't even have a chance. Next race was from a dead stop against me and the other sol. I over revved and spun all the way thru first and into second while still leaving the other del sol. It was pretty neat. While it doesnt have the power of my SRT its still fun to drive and the top comes off. Cant wait to get an engine swap done.
So wait this is your other post... So you have a del sol with no title i guess and u drivr it. Then you have an srt4, and you want to buy another 5th gen civic or del sol. So you tell me where i am wrong? And what is not to like about awd and turboed? exactly my point. Life is not all about living your life a quarter mile at a time my friend. Grow up and learn something from the military and stop talking out of your butt :D
[post=439925]Quoted post[/post]​
The Del Sol I drove is mine cause I've decided to buy it today. Its the del sol I was planning to buy when I first wrote this post. I drove it last night and loved it. It was between this del sol or the EG hatch. Sorry I wasn't clear.

There is nothing really wrong with awd and turboing except for when you start upgrading the power. I hate the way you either have to rev the engine all way up and dump the clutch to go or bog the engine to go. To get any good number at the track in a WRX you have to really punish the drivetrain. After watching my friend go thru 3 trannies at the track I decide that a AWD car is not for me.

I dont live my life a quarter mile at a time. I have more of a life than cars. This is my hobby and I love doing it. Life is about taking risks and making the most out of it. Thats why you can only afford that civic or your and nothing more.

I dont talk out of my butt. I asked a simple question. I got a few good answers. Now if you dont have anything intellegent to say then dont talk at all.

Originally posted by dtfastj@Jan 1 2005, 07:43 PM
Thats why you can only afford that civic or your and nothing more.

Now if you dont have anything intellegent to say then dont talk at all.
[post=439930]Quoted post[/post]​

hhhmmm ...
1. i can afford more than just a civic. Who is to say it is my only car??? Who is to say i want another car???
2. it is a forum so i speak my opinion. And go to hell :D
3. youre a dousche

You talk like you have an endless amount of money. If you have enough for a swap, car and turbo... then i would skip the civic and buy a nicer car. Thats my opinion but thats also why i have a civic

Well you said it not me. I never said you wanted or needed another car. I bought a SRT-4 cause it was cheap and fast. Now I'm almost done buying a Del Sol cause its cheap and when I'm done fast as well as topless. In a few years when the price on those Ford Lightnings come down to around 20g then I'll buy one of those too.

shut up, you guys are knobs..

del sol's are good for doin swaps, good car around the engine bay so if you add a good little punch under the hood its liek a go kart.

i know there was a guy in my town here i used to talk to, had a 93 sol with a GSR and turbo set up on it, and dude, it was quick. and it looked so sick.

my buddy took me for a boot in his 93 sol with a b16 a2. had a DC header, edelbrock intake manifold, and an MSD ignition.. it kicked ass man. you seem to be into a bit more than a swap and an intake but the easiest motor to swap in them is a b16, but with your money, why not get a GSR and buy the mounts and everything. b16a2 is the simplest swap, the best bang for your buck in my opinion!

How about you grow up and do something besides drag racing. Test drive an EVO or STi and go find a twisty road. I promise you won't even care about straightline performance anymore.

Also, the transmission is the weakest link in standard WRX's. The STi tranny is bulletproof.

Oh, and I suggest that you buy an S13 or AE86 so you can wean yourself off of drag racing.

Originally posted by DelSlo@Jan 1 2005, 09:30 PM
shut up, you guys are knobs..

del sol's are good for doin swaps, good car around the engine bay so if you add a good little punch under the hood its liek a go kart.

i know there was a guy in my town here i used to talk to, had a 93 sol with a GSR and turbo set up on it, and dude, it was quick. and it looked so sick.

my buddy took me for a boot in his 93 sol with a b16 a2. had a DC header, edelbrock intake manifold, and an MSD ignition.. it kicked ass man. you seem to be into a bit more than a swap and an intake but the easiest motor to swap in them is a b16, but with your money, why not get a GSR and buy the mounts and everything. b16a2 is the simplest swap, the best bang for your buck in my opinion!
[post=439965]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok so what is a knob? And a del sol and a 5th gen civic have the same engine bay. And tell me how swapping a type r motor isnt as easy as swapping in a sir? And your opinion dont mean dick. Like stated above drag racing isnt everything. I am not saying auto x is either but there is more to life then going fast in a straight line. Grow up and realize their are more options than just hondas. Dont count them out but but it wouldnt be my first choice.

first off a knobb is an idiot. second, i know the del sol has the same engine bay, i was referring to everything around the engine bay as far as the suspension set up, wheelbase etc. im not at all into an all out drag race, ive set my del sol up to handle better than it does go fast in a straight line,

other things out there besides honda's?? hmm that must be why im in love with WRX's and SRT 4's right? or maybe its because i test drove one of the first STI's in canada and have been in love ever since. even though im not a dodge fan but gotta respect how the SRT 4 is raising the bar and what its doin for the sport compact market. im only on this site cause i own a honda and its a great reference site.

this site is mint except to post on, why are half the people on here so high up on themselves because they've done a motor swap. get over it...ever rebuilt an esacalde from the frame up?? no??i have... hmm funny cause i swear there is more out there than honda right. grow up

Sorry buddy i am not all high because i have had a swap. I have spent the money and did all that stuff with my car to make it fast and it is pointless. Dont waste your money on making your car go fast because in the end it is still a honda. And i dont have a swap now i just drive a honda for a beater because it is good on fuel economy. And about rebuilding an escalade?? Me and my friend rebuilt an s10 from the frame up. He had hydraulics and bent his frame. So we took everything off the frame and replaced it and put the old body back on and we put air bags on it as we progressed. And no i dont know all about cars but between me and my buddy we finished her up in about a week and a half of work. And let me be the first to say... test driving an sti is hardly cool or is harldy something to be proud of. I could careless what you test drive. So keep your head up bud i am sure you will grow up one day, it will come. Take er easy :D

Originally posted by dohch22a4@Jan 1 2005, 09:47 PM
How about you grow up and do something besides drag racing. Test drive an EVO or STi and go find a twisty road. I promise you won't even care about straightline performance anymore.

Also, the transmission is the weakest link in standard WRX's. The STi tranny is bulletproof.

Oh, and I suggest that you buy an S13 or AE86 so you can wean yourself off of drag racing.
[post=439968]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow. You guys get hostile really quick. First off drag racing isn't the only thing I do. I also auto-cross as well as do a little driving at local race track. And while my SRT isn't show worth yet I still attend as may shows as possible.

Why buy an old S13 or 86 when I could have a S15 instead. Hondas are not the only thing out there I know that. In fact I hated most Hondas cause there too slow. But one drive in this Del Sol with the top off and I knew I had to have it. Much of the same reason I dont want a S13 or 86. The top doesn't come off. Yes yes I know the S13 comes in a drop top form. But I dislike the way ragtops look. And right now I'm not ready to buy a Supra of my own. Ownership cost are just a little too high.

Thanks to those that helped. I'll have to see if the B16a can put out as much reliable power as the H22. It seems like a easier route to go.

This is not Swap-related. This is the Swap-related forum.

Try again in the right forum.

:locked:

This topic has gotten out of control. There will be no further discussion / argument.

Closed by a moderator.

:locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back