Electrician Apprenticeship Program

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

My guess is you're not going to need any tools for at least the first few weeks. Grab this spool of wire, crawl in there and grab that and drag it over here, go to the corner and get us coffee and doughnuts, etc. Maybe they'll let you strip a few pieces of wire. lol. Working in a retail-ish environment is night and day compared to working with a bunch of old union guys. My best advice is do whatever the fuck they tell you to do and do it with a smile. Earn their respect and they will show you everything they know in due time.

At some point in time you will say to yourself what the fuck did I get myself into, and probably more than once. Let the paycheck and the benefits be the motivation that gets you through the bullshit.

Also remember a few years down the road you won't be the bitch anymore.

Good luck.

You will be fucked with, be prepared.

I love that kind of bullshit. I know how to be the butt of the joke. I'm looking forward to it. Definitely expecting grunt work for awhile lol. I will let you guys know how the first day goes.

Klein is the shit. I know Valley, their office is in everett. Good company from what I've heard. I was a shop hand/manager (material handler) for Mills Electric my freshman year of college. Great job, but the company filed chapter 11 and my hours sucked.

Do you know what pay rate you start at? My dad is a union electrician in NYC. Their apprenticeship is 3 or 4 years and you get paid dirt (less than $10). Add in commuting to NYC and I'd not even be able to pay my bills.

I start at $18.50 an hour.

First day was fun. Hung light fixtures and made up the wiring for them. Wired up with the MC (flexible metal casing withwires running inside) that runs above, had to cut into it use pigtails to wire it in. Worked with a journey man and another apprentice that's been there 6 months or so.

Its an Amazon job right on Mercer street in Seattle. Going to be work here for at least until 2016.

Worked 6am-445pm today. 2 hours of 1.5 and 45 minutes of double time. I will be working 10s all week and Saturday too. Awesome OT.

Already found people to carpool with for tomorrow and hopefully the rest of the week.

Everyone was nice, it was nice actually doing real work for a change.

Picked up snippets of wire and other misc garbage today for 2 hours of OT. $27.75 an hour. Kinda funny.

Like $80 a check. Not that much considering how much more I'm making.

remember most wire is made out of copper and copper has decent value
not sure on your job, but i know a lot of electricians are able to tuck away scrap pieces, to strip and sell to scrap yards on their own time.
it adds up quick if you are able to put a little in your bag everyday

yup, save the shreds in a 5 gal pail and once a month cash it in

Back