Electrician Apprenticeship Program

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

When I was a service tech I would take all the aluminum, brass, and copper and chuck it in a bucket in the back of the van.

Carpooling is so nice. Least I've driven in a work week ever. The fifth year apprentice that is one of my carpoolers makes $36 an hour! .

Hung more light fixtures today. We're on the top floor now. I heard there is another job that Valley is doing that's closer to my house. Hopefully go there when this job is done. Not that I'm picky.

Still waiting to hear something from the State Patrol too.

Copper is around $2.50/lb I believe. I know it was up around $4 a few years back. I took back some #6 stove wire when I was working on the kitchen. LIttle scraps of romex and stuff like that will take a bit to add up but I guess if you're bored it is free money. That's if the contractor doesn't have some sort of policy.

Those union dues actually seem pretty high. Are you sure that's not per month? It's usually not a set $ amount, but X number of hours per month. That way the new guys making less don't pay as much as the old timers. UAW is 2.5 hrs/month.

I know money isn't the only thing to consider, but going to the police at some point is gonna be a pretty significant pay reduction when you consider the amount of OT you'll work as an electrician.

Plus you don't have to get tased.

Just make sure you know your company's policy on the scrap. For some companies pocketing scrap to sell is a fire able offense as the company itself expects to recycle it.

Don't really have time to collect scrap. My neighbor who is a 13 year journeyman collects his and redeems it every couple years. He usually makes a couple thousand dollars.

He works for a much smaller company though.

Back