emission test...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dvus1

problem passing my 90 civic HB, thru DMV inspection line here in dover. I failed the emission test. (still stock engine) :D

Got any ideas... coz i need to sell the car already...

If you just want it to pass here's a suggestion.
Go to home depot buy denatured alcohol or MEK if you can find it.
run your gas take almost empty, make a mixture of denatured alcohol to gas
the ratio is 2 part denatured alcohol to 1 part gas (example 2 gals : 1 gal)
you will pass emissions with flying colors. the mix doesn't have to be 100% perfect.

but if you really wanna fix the problem I'm not to sure were to start looking as it could be anything.

It's similar to running E85 , it's a newer alternative fuel being used these days. which burns way the f*ck cleaner than petrol.

Some literature to read up on about new alternative fuels.

e85fuel.com
Ethanol info

--
I think B. should take my info on cheaply passing emissions tesst and make it a sticky.
--

the 1990 civic has two valves starbored and one on the portside, this was the first two valve operating exuaost 20 min before you get tested bllow down the tail pipe this will force the smog out the starboard side and the port side will bring in air make sure the car is on when your doing this.

there are other options for the men who dont llike to blow.......?? you can stick a fruit (apple) down the pipe and cut of the excess apple, then drive 4 miles west 4 miles east and 2 miles home take out the apple and ur prob. is solved. dont worry about ur car stalling because of the port side valve will bring in air as will the intake and the starbored will blow the bad smog out...... if u here bad sounds like sputtering dont worry the starbored is not often used and is getting warmed up.

glad i could help..... ur friendly pipe blower

Originally posted by zoarette@Aug 21 2003, 07:53 PM
the 1990 civic has two valves starbored and one on the portside, this was the first two valve operating exuaost 20 min before you get tested bllow down the tail pipe this will force the smog out the starboard side and the port side will bring in air make sure the car is on when your doing this.

there are other options for the men who dont llike to blow.......?? you can stick a fruit (apple) down the pipe and cut of the excess apple, then drive 4 miles west 4 miles east and 2 miles home take out the apple and ur prob. is solved. dont worry about ur car stalling because of the port side valve will bring in air as will the intake and the starbored will blow the bad smog out...... if u here bad sounds like sputtering dont worry the starbored is not often used and is getting warmed up.

glad i could help..... ur friendly pipe blower

yea, wtf??

What part of emissions are you failing? Cause two leading probs are the HO2 sensor or it could be the catalytic converter. I just recently did my emissions on my 94 civic ex and failed the first time b/c my HO2 sensor had just blew on me that same day then bought one and replaced it within 30mins and passed this time. Oh btw HO2 sensor failing (should) show a check engine light, if not check to see if you're failing your CO readings for emissions that's what it will fail on. Hope that helps.

ummmm no

just because you mean something one way doesnt make it correct

written the way you did, the "H" would mean hydrogen

HO2 is termed either hydroperoxyl radical or perhydroxyl radical (the protonated form of superoxide)

that would make it either a hydroperoxyl radical or perhydroxyl radical sensor

cars dont measure that

Ill take the car to the inspection line again so ill find out whats it failling

( what sensor )..... :D

you shouldn't need to take it again, they should of given you a paper printout
of what the levels for CO(Carbon Dioxide), NOx(Nitrides of Oxygen), HC(Hydrocarbons)
they should be in units of ppm's (parts per million)

Back