Engine noise

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Speed Box

Ok I'm going about 80 on the freeway (open throttle) then when I slow down I started hearing this pinging noise when I accelerate.

When I accelerate, noise starts at 1500 RPM.

I think its coming from intake manifold, some where or by the injectors. My friend mentioned that could be it valves.

My plan is to clean intake manifold through throttle body with seafoam and adjust valves.

Anybody had simmilar problem?

Cleaned intake, that did not help.

It could also be either rod bearings (on rods) or main bearings (on crank)

Does anybody know if I can get to them by taking off oil pan? And move crank to reach them individually.

Its possible that its the rod bearings because 1. its getting louder sense yesterday and 2. there is a loud knock over by the oil pan, specially when rpm's are increased.

You can reach rods by removing oil pan and then monoblock piece with oil pickup thing. The only problem is getting it off. Its also possible (well in theory) to move piston with rod connected and change rod bearings.

So does anybody have any ideas how to get that monoblock piece off ? Its somewhat glued to the block.

mono-block piece? You mean the crank girdle? it's bolted to the block. just unbolt it and pull very hard or pry it off.

Crank girdle. Now I know that proper term for that piece.

What torque do I use on those bolts??? shop manual mentioned its 33 lbs and use 3 step. 2 of them are a bitch to get in like 100 lbs torque, for real I bended my rib, those ones had a O on them.

I broke 1 over next to dipstick. Also I used locktite on all of them, except those 100 lbs ones. And all others were torqued at 35 lbs at cross tightened sequence.

I never took crank girdle from the block I just took the bolts out and then was tripping that it might put some slack on the timing belt once the crank is somewhat loose. So I put them back in and broke 1.

So is one broken bolt ok? And is 33 lbs right torque?
-----------------------

In regards to engine noise it was rod bearings. Small piece of metal broke off 1 of them and put a crack in the other.

Back