Engine swap D16Z6 into 91Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

twinvtec

what's up everybody...I need some help on my engine swap I have a 91 civic that I want to swap a D16Z6 engine into. So far my part list is this;

D16Z6 engine complete
P28 ecu
90 si tranny
90 si resistor box
vtec ecu jumper harness
92-95 engine harness

My questions is,

I know I have to switch to obd1 to do the swap, but can anyone tell me or link me to a site that would show me how to do the switch without using the resistor box?

I also would like to know what others parts would I need to do this swap?THX GUYS.

Last edited:
std ? ok in the usa what would that be hf- si ?

+1 on just shelling out the money for Rywires work.

It will make it plug and play, which is exactly what you want if/since it's your first swap.

o.k thxz for the info on the harness. Can anyone tell me what would be the best clucth for the swap? and also the best axles? this is going to be a street car, I just want to get a taste of the d16z6 and the vtec on my 91 hacth.

what I mean is performance wise what would be the best set up, keeping in mind I would be using a 90 si 5spd trans.

thxz Blanco, this is going to be a street car but I want it to be a respectable street car. I checked out rywire for the engine harness but they want like 300.00 dollars do you think that is worth the money?

i'd go with the oem clutch and axles, if not honda oem, then autozone or equivalent. i wouldn't upgrade them until you need to. they can take a pretty good beating from the z6 before you need to spend anymore $$$. good luck with the wiring, you should take pics and post em up!

Obd1 Resistor Box

If Your Running Obd1 I Thought A Resistor Box Wasnt Needed? Just De-pin The Resistor Plug And Plug The Wires Into A Dead End Plug From An Obd1 Harness

91 d16 engine swap

yo what's up guys.T his is what Im working with. the wheels are 18" but Im thinking of going with some 15" or maybe 16" nothing bigger.

Attachments

• P3090017.JPG
    P3090017.JPG
    766 KB · Views: 991
  • P3090018.JPG
    P3090018.JPG
    643.1 KB · Views: 801
  • P3090021.JPG
    P3090021.JPG
    756.8 KB · Views: 929
  • P3090022.JPG
    P3090022.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6,048
  • P3090023.JPG
    P3090023.JPG
    777.9 KB · Views: 643
oe clutch? why not upgrade to a stage 2 or 3 and liteweight flywheel while you have everything apart would be a better plan

thats true i guess...saving money's always a good thing. but definately honda oem rather than an autozone or advance brand

if your runnin a p28 obd1 ecu what o2 sensor do you need? is it the 4 wire?

ok..so the obd0 to obd1 conversion harness comes with the 4 wires needed for the new o2 sensor...do you just leave the o2 plug on the engine harness unhooked and use those wires?

rywire.com is where i ordered the harness from. should be here anyday now. i just wasnt sure about whut to do with the existing o2 plug on the engine harness

ok i gots a lil problem.. the p28 ecu wont fit in my ef ! :( how do i get it to lay where the pm6 went? is there a trick to this?

Back