engine swap ideas (warning:long winded)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I got a d15b vtec from japan through engineworldusa.com

engine itself: $450 (6 month unlimited mile warranty and garaunteed less than 50 k)
shipping: $170

I dropped it into my 93 civic sedan, got a p28 ecu and pretty much everything else plugged right in. i think the only thing i need to get now is a wiring harness. and from what i hear (i don't have it just yet so this is hearsay) d series motors react nicely to boost.. i vote d series all the way.

also, do you have the empty shell yet? i was reading the first post and it said you were thinking about getting an engineless car. just wondering

I got a D15B VTEC for $200; included Z6 harness, P28 ECU, 4-2-1 header, and intake. All it needed was a valve cover bolt. :D Another $70 got me a DOHC ZC transmission, $40 more for Si differential/countershaft.

BTW, the powergains from ITB's are bigger on a D-series than so on a B-series. If you take it to the right person, tuning isn't an issue. "Bambooseven" from SohcHonda hit 135whp IIRC from just ITB's and VAFC on his girlfriend's D16Y8. Without the tune he was at 120whp, and bone stock it pulled 115whp. Also, there's guys running Webers with very good luck. The founder of OneCamOnly, also a D-series.org member, hit like 162whp with just carburetors, P29 pistons, milled head, and Bisimoto cam/springs; non-VTEC JDM D15B(similar to a D15B2).

wow didnt think i would get this many posts, i was doing some research on d series turbo kits, how long do those engines provided one was in good condition with a turbo kit and stock internals because looking at the price it seemed like a good idea. Also, im no stranger to carburation so ill keep that weber idea in mind. and btw thx for all the positive posts, -will

Hey snow3n i wish i was set off as good as you with an open window on a build i just thought i might put my 2 cents in personally i think you should go with a full JDM front swap. You can get a RHD swap with a B16 for around 1500 to 2000 depnding on where you look usually they dont come with the fenders and hood and stuff but with your budget that will leave you with about 5000 left to tune up the motor with some goodies and not to mention how good it will look . Or for about the 3500 you could go with the GSR swap which would be great to. If you were to get the B16 building it N/A you could most likely get around 170- 200HP
which is what your looking for. Just thought i would mention those ideas. I will be putting DOHC D16A1 in my car which building it NA will give me around 150 until I boost it later on

wow didnt think i would get this many posts, i was doing some research on d series turbo kits, how long do those engines provided one was in good condition with a turbo kit and stock internals because looking at the price it seemed like a good idea. Also, im no stranger to carburation so ill keep that weber idea in mind. and btw thx for all the positive posts, -will
on stock internals if the motor is tuned correctly t will last a long time,tuning is key for any built motor..
Hey snow3n i wish i was set off as good as you with an open window on a build i just thought i might put my 2 cents in personally i think you should go with a full JDM front swap. You can get a RHD swap with a B16 for around 1500 to 2000 depnding on where you look usually they dont come with the fenders and hood and stuff but with your budget that will leave you with about 5000 left to tune up the motor with some goodies and not to mention how good it will look . Or for about the 3500 you could go with the GSR swap which would be great to. If you were to get the B16 building it N/A you could most likely get around 170- 200HP
which is what your looking for. Just thought i would mention those ideas. I will be putting DOHC D16A1 in my car which building it NA will give me around 150 until I boost it later on
false info much?!?!?!
170hp on an n/a b16?!?!?that retarded low
and why would you build n/a just to boost down the road?!?

i have a 1990 honda civic and want to swap what would you recommend

Not to be a dick, but i recommend starting your own thread, as simply posting on this thread won't be that effective. The same section will work fine. But as far as a recommendation goes, it depends on your situation, as in, how much money you have and what exactly you want.

on stock internals if the motor is tuned correctly t will last a long time,tuning is key for any built motor..
false info much?!?!?!
170hp on an n/a b16?!?!?that retarded low
and why would you build n/a just to boost down the road?!?

170bhp is about the stock power a B16 makes.

The only reason i said 170-200 because i thought he would do a few miner things just to get up from 152 stock rating to get the goal hp range i not stupid i been around cars my whole life so i know that you could could get way more than that out of B16

Also the only reason i would build the A1 N/A for a while is for Autocross i wouldnt feel like having to deal with boost lag and not having the power until i got the RPM up running through the course. After running autocross for awhile i would pull the motor and build for drag thats why i would boost it later

Look I know where you got 170 BHP Im talking about the B16A you were talking about the B16A4(170Hp EK4 Asian) and B16B(180Hp EK in the middle east and south Africa) so i know what im talking about trust me im sure

Last edited:
The only reason i said 170-200 because i thought he would do a few miner things just to get up from 152 stock rating to get the goal hp range i not stupid i been around cars my whole life so i know that you could could get way more than that out of B16

Also the only reason i would build the A1 N/A for a while is for Autocross i wouldnt feel like having to deal with boost lag and not having the power until i got the RPM up running through the course. After running autocross for awhile i would pull the motor and build for drag thats why i would boost it later
boost lag??thats why you would go with a relatively small turbo,you can get turbo's that are already spooling on startup,so i really dont think you do know alot about cars
Look I know where you got 170 BHP Im not talking about the B16A you were talking about the B16A4(170Hp EK4 Asian) and B16B(180Hp EK in the middle east and south Africa) so i know what im talking about trust me im sure
B16b would be the CTR

I know what im talking about i dont want to run boost while im running autocross im just gonna run High compression N/A then a CT26 Turbo when i start drag yes im aware there are bigger, smaller turbos, low boost, high boost, and,hybrid turbos

Yea the B16B is the CTR EK i was listing my info for little EF kid so he would know which B is was talking about just the B16A for that guys car

IM SO SORRY that i dont spend every minute of my life on the computer reading about this crap instead of hands on about all types of cars

all i meant was just if anybody else had any other ideas they wanted to share thats all

Snow3n Another would be H22 or H23 out or a prelude im not fimilar with the price on those but i think its around 2500 for the motor swap or you could go balls out and do a K24 or K20 swap but if you do that the k24 you might not be able to close your hood without a cutting a whole in it or a hood scoop or a F22 with an H22 head on it there is endless swap ideas just look around this site and see what you could find but im still suggesting my first idea bout the whole front swap

honestly buy a shell,get yourself a nice d16,build it for turbo,and have money leftover for gas,insurance,registration,tires,TUNE,and tune-up accessories

Back