engine ticking?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I play with them for a living :D

Some valve lash is normal, its impossible to get rid of all of it in some older engines. The newer the engine the less the valve noise is. Its all due to added gaps between the cam lobe and lifter and the valve guide etc etc etc... Dont worry it wont ever damage a thing.

my valves are loud as hell even after adjustment.

Originally posted by TurboMirage@Sep 13 2005, 04:21 PM
my valves are loud as hell even after adjustment.
[post=553863]Quoted post[/post]​

On your mirage?? Thats just known to be a plague in the 4G63. My talon had the same problem and still does. I gotta switch to solid or upgraded lifters :blink:

What motor? Year? Mileage?

Older DOHC VTEC B-Series motors are well known to have bad/worn LMA's (Lost Motion Assemblies). They reside under the middle (VTEC) rocker arm. Pull your valve cover off and press the middle rocker arm down. It should 'spring' right back up when you pull your finger off. If it sticks for a second, then comes up, or doesn't come back up at all, it's bad. I've personally owned 2 motors in which the LMA's were bad/worn.

They're pretty easy to replace. All you have to do is pull the camshaft(s) and flip the rocker arms up and just pull them out.

If the motor isn't a VTEC, then like what was said above, it's probably your valve lash.

Its a 92-95 b16a sir2, 40kmi...i'll check the lma's this weekend...

Back