Engine trouble

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMPlaya

alright so this morning i got into my car..and turned it on..
it sounded funny, i let it sit idle for awhile still sounds funny, i rev it.. it sounds like growling noise and when it idles its slow and it puts pretty loud (put,put,put).. so i took it for a drive, it is VERY slow and im guessin on runnin on 3 cylinders.. and when it gets in high rpms it sounds like its going to blow

So i open the hood take a look at the spark plugs i take the second from the right one out and it doesnt make the engine "die down" when i remove it like it would if i took another plug out.. so i went and changed the plug, still same problems, so that didnt fix it, i think about wires next, i take the wire into advanced auto and they test it to see if its getting the amount of (ohms?) i was getting 8 he said its fine..

So if its not my wires/plugs what could it be? anyone else have this prob? i got a d16z6 w/ about 100k

thanks alot

Phillip

but doesnt it tell you something when you take out a plug the engine dies down a bit and when i remove the certain one it doesnt do it, it acts the same, so something specific in there, right? no?

on my stock 89 DX I could take off a plug wire and it would still sound the same, it would only sound a tad diffrent if i took off two I dont think it would be your ignition system or you fuel system. How loud is it? is it way louder under the hood?

Dude, injectors RARELY go bad on a car, its the last thing you should check. Change your cap and rotor as jeffie said and go from there.

anything i could do to check and see if the cap & rotor is bad? tests/looks

check the cap and rotor by
1) mark what wire goes to which terminal so you dont mix them up.
2) remove cap
3) look at the points on it if they look all corroded replace the cap
4) also check the rotor if it is corroded or rusty sand it lightly or replace
5) put it back together and see how it runs

NOTE: if it looks fine dont do 3 or 4 just inspect it and put it back together

look for a burnt whitish color or black they should normally be greyish white not chipped down looking and white or black: kind of like a spark plug

if you remove the spark plug "out of the cly that does not seem to make a differance when you pull it out" plug the spark plug back into the spark plug wire then lay it across your motor "something grounded" then turn the car over

you will see the spark jump!

if nothing then start with replacing cap/rotor chances are they need to be replaced I bet you don't even know how many miles its been since its was last done
BTW buy HONDA/ACURA OEM! it is a much better part it will run you around 30-40 bucks but its worth the extra money

if that does not fix your problem then swap one of your plug wires to see if that one is bad

if 3 clys out of 4 are sparking then chances are its the plug wire/spark plug

BTW when you pull out the spark plug it should be really wet since its not burning any fuel

chances are its not the injector however it could be the connector on the injector make sure its clean/tight

Back