engines comparison

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

test_drive

I found these engines to put on my car:
D15B, D16Z6, D16A

could you tell me your rating of these engines ?
I have interesting in 4 positions, the most important is the 1st position, less important is the 4th question.

1) power with VTEC?
2) power without VTEC and torque (how easy to use it in a traffic jam?)?
3) and economy of these engines (petrol is very expensive, I don't live in the US)?
4) how easy to install it on my car (I've got coupe civic-6 with D16Y7) ?

For the most part, all these are right in their power levels... https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29825

Your best bet is the d16z6. You get 125 hp, a nice 19 hp increase of your 106 hp y7. If you go this route though, it'd be easier to swap in a d16y8 which is the EX sohc vtec motor that makes 127 hp.

If what you're looking for is the most power I'd suggest going with a B series, B16a (JDM SiR, or USDM a3 or a2 series) or better yet, b18c1. USDM GSR motor making it's 170 hp.

I have a b16a2 Si and cruising around town keeping the revs at 3000 rpm i have no problems with getting the power to pass a car either by slowly pressing on the gas or just dropping a gear.

Even with high gas prices the b16 and b18 should still be able to net you 25-30 mpg, possibly more if you baby it. The only problem is you need to use premium in them. If you care about top hp numbers AND gas mileage then it's really a trade off on which you care about more.

I'm not an expert in swapping but I'm sure that swapping a D series for a D series should be a bolt in. (don't quote me)

It seems to me that it will be nice to have 120 - 130 hp (I feel that 106hp isn't enought). I don't want to have more that 130 hp (it will be very expensive).

usualy I drive at 2000-3500 rpms. but sometimes I want to drive faster that usualy, and D16Y7 isn't enought for it.

I heard that the D15B is the king of the D serie. is it really so ?
have D15B and D16Z6 any advantages before D16Y5,7,8 ? these engines are very old (1991-1995) and D16Y* aren't so old (1996-2000).
maybe swaping D15B on a civic-6 is like to make old ford scorpio from ferrari ?

what difference between obd1 and obd2 ? what features will I lost after conversion from obd2 to obd1 ?
I heard a lot of swaps D15B on the civic-5, but I don't heard about this engine on civic-6.

its my fears about swap D15B or D16Z6 on my car :(

D15B and D16Z6 are both SOHC VTEC engine making sililar power. the Z6 does have the advantage of slightly more displacement. I have never heard of the D15B being the king of the D series...ive often wondered myself why people go that route instead of a cheaper Z6, though its probably so they have that extra JDM bling factor.

Your Y7 engine does not have VTEC, and although 125hp isnt much, its makes for a fun and quick (not fast) car, especially compared to a Y7 powered car.

Power when not in VTEC is not that bad. Your not going to win any races, but it should be very close to your stock engine now.

Gas mileage should be about the same too. The only time you are going to be using more fuel is when your in VTEC. Spend lots of time in the higher revs, your gonna burn more fuel (true with any engine). But if your driving around town alot, your not going to lose anything.

Good luck with it.

Back