evo6 or r32 gtr

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SPEEDFREAK0920

sup guys. i'm in the air force and leave to japan march 2nd. i'll be stationed there for 3 years.right when i get there i'm going to be looking for a car to purchase as my daily driver over seas.but when my term is up i am going to bring the car back with me.japan gov't used to have a strict rule about not being able to import cars into the usa that aren't for sale in the usa.but that was about 6 years ago and the gov't has gotten a little more lenient.i've narrowed my choices down to either an evo6 or r32 gtr. i don't want to spend more than 20ish. r32 gtr's go for around 11k.and i should be able to find an evo6 that's isn't too far out of my range. so WHAT CAR SHOULD I CHOOSE? this will not be my daily driver once i bring it back to the states.i know the evo6 is just a really "glorified" mitsubishi mirage but it's rated at 280hp(they usually make more than 300 stock) and they run mid to low 13's and high 12's with a really good driver.and they're 4 wheel drive..blah blah blah. or should i get a r32 gtr and go through the pain in the ass hassle to bring it back to the states? but shit, it's a f*cking SKYLINE! ya know? so what the hell do i get? sorry for the long topic and hope it wasn't stupid.thnx guys

if all you want it for is drag racing then theres better options.

id prolly buy an oldschool gtr or maybe an fd.

from your 2 choices id go with a skyline though, just cause you can buy an new evo in the states or always buy a mirage and convert it.

You're going to have just as much trouble bringing in a gtr as an evo6. The Evo6 is a little more than a glorified mirage. Good luck, but I bet $100 you don't get either car into the US.

wtf evo 6 is way doper than a heavy ass r32... i think evo 6 is my favorite car...
BUY IT and then sell it to me

Get a 6.5 TME edition :cool:

SKYLINE>ALL

Like its even a choice. and you could buy it, import it, and make it legal for 20k. Buy the car for 10k, save the other 10k for legalizing. The Air Force will take care of shipping it back for you.

Don't even consider anything else.

the air force pays for up to 2 cars shipping back to the states for you.but i'm pretty sure you have to be married to do that. as for legalizing it,i would have to pay like a 2k tax fee and there are a few loop holes in getting it registered. my buddy brought back a galant vr4 and got it registered as a kit car.so his insurance is only good on weekends or something of that sort.that's what i will do. like i said before THIS WON'T BE MY DAILY DRIVER when i come back. just my weekend cruiser and track whore. i'm not only worried about going fast down the 1320. i'm also going to road course the car.that in mind, i was just worried about the evo's tranny and differentials.i've had a vr4 before and the tranny took a shit pretty quick.but i guess either car i have the tranny may be an issue? well keep the posts coming because they're really helping me out. thnx again

Quoted post[/post]]

thats right.

you can build an evo6'd awd mirage in the states for ~10k.

or you can do it for ~6k with a 4g like mine, and have a 2500lb AWD turbo car thats uber fast.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

thats right.

or you can do it for ~6k with a 4g like mine, and have a 2500lb AWD turbo car thats uber fast.

too bad tahts not what your doing :cry:

ill have a high revving n/a awd mirage making the same power with a bigger powerband. your point dan?

Quoted post[/post]]
like i said before THIS WON'T BE MY DAILY DRIVER when i come back. just my weekend cruiser and track whore. i'm not only worried about going fast down the 1320. i'm also going to road course the car.that in mind, i was just worried about the evo's tranny and differentials.

So get teh R32 and bring it over.

Street legal doesnt matter as long as u know the inspection station guy.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

thats right.

ill have a high revving n/a awd mirage making the same power with a bigger powerband. your point dan?

your making it awd?

didnt know that. what parts do you need to get still? pics of spoiler on?

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

thats right.

your making it awd?

didnt know that. what parts do you need to get still? pics of spoiler on?

dont have the damn spoiler yet. i can use either an evo1-3 awdrivetrain or a 1g dsm awdrivetrain.

Quoted post[/post]]
the air force pays for up to 2 cars shipping back to the states for you.but i'm pretty sure you have to be married to do that. as for legalizing it,i would have to pay like a 2k tax fee and there are a few loop holes in getting it registered. my buddy brought back a galant vr4 and got it registered as a kit car.so his insurance is only good on weekends or something of that sort.that's what i will do. like i said before THIS WON'T BE MY DAILY DRIVER when i come back. just my weekend cruiser and track whore. i'm not only worried about going fast down the 1320. i'm also going to road course the car.that in mind, i was just worried about the evo's tranny and differentials.i've had a vr4 before and the tranny took a shit pretty quick.but i guess either car i have the tranny may be an issue? well keep the posts coming because they're really helping me out. thnx again

If you dont mind my asking, why did you rule out the R33?

And holy crap there is a lot of stuff to alter.

Replace the ECE (brake light) light with a light marked BRAKE
Replace or alter Km/h speedometer and Km odometer for ones marked in miles.
Change headlights, tail lights, and side markers to that of US vehicles (300zx)
Add a center higher level brake light.
DOT approved tires and wheels
Change side and rear view mirrors to that of the 300zx
Add steering column lock
Add the seatbelt warning light
90-93 models need a new relay that will not let the windows roll down when the ignition is off
Modify the dash for interior protection
Modify the seat rails to meet crash test requirements
Replace the airbags with US certified devices
Add Airbag stickers to the visors
Change seatbelt ancorage locations
Add an adhesive to the windshield
Reinforce the door panels to pass crash test
Add EGR valve and Evap controls to pass emissions tests
Move the vin plate to the left side
Add a vin sticker to the left door post

2k in taxes... rofl... keep telling yoru self that.

trust me dude.
do some more reading.
make some phone calls.

you have no idea what yu're embarking on...

a buddy of mine was in Japan for 2yrs in the Air Force.. while he was there he found himself a 95 skyline 4 dr for 5k.. it was pretty dope.. he sold it before he came back

any idea how much taxes go for ? i want to call around but i don't wanna make myself look like a retard looking around 4 months in advance.pissedoffsol: should i call up one of those numbers on that site you gave me? one of those RI's. thnx again guys. i outruled the r33 because i think that's way out of my budget.if i find one cheap i'll def. pick it up tho. i read that MOTOREX is no longer around??? is that true? that was the main skyline importer.what happened? thnx again

oh and i'm str8 on doing any kind of modifications to a mirage.haha just not my taste.that's why i'm contemplating on the evo.i'm trying to get over the back end on those cars.

Back