Experienced Single Cam Turbo Users Please Respond

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

d17type-R

Doc Brown says
Ok, so I 've given some serious thought to adding a turbo to my 2004 Civic LX Coupe that has the OEM 1.7L Single-Cam 'powerplant'. I use the word 'powerplant' very hesitantly based on what I've read and seen that others have.

I'm not looking to go drag racing with the car; what I'd really like as an end result is:
- somehting that looks nifty when you pop the hood at shows
- something that gives me better than stock performance
- something that will also get me better gas mileage
(I 'm guessing that won't happen with me having a lead foot)

I've seen some pics where there's a smaller radiator used together with a large intercooler.
I've also seen the radiator left stock and a small intercooler put on.

I've seen the turbo put in many different places. I've seen different configurations of piping. I've seen different air cleaners used.

What I want is:
- an intercooler that fills up the front because the body kit has a fairly large opening in the lower valance. I'm guessing this is good for air circulation. I watched this one episode of PINKS where the guy had to keep NOS spraying his intercooler to keep the temp. down. Where would I run into this problem?

- I also want to put a custom downpipe on the exhaust(not purchased yet)
I've considered the Borla exhaust because it doesn't sound like what I like to call a "fartcan". I want a nice smooth tone out of the exhaust. (Think G35)

I'd appreciate anybody's experience stories or input on this. I want to do it right the first time, which means leaving room for expandability; whether it's as samll as changing cam gears or as big as doing a swap up to something bigger.

What I need to know is:

- Prices (Cdn. Dollars)
- good shops in BC
- What gear to use
- what options and the results I can expect from them)
- what BOV works the best
- what turbo will have the longest life
- what I can do to keep things running(have alarm with 'turbo timer' option)
- is this something I can do with some engine building exp. and the right tools

The engine and exhaust are virgins to mods!!!!!

Hey, how's it going? Ok first of all, the only reason to have an intercooler is if you are using turbo, a intercooler cools the hot exhaust gases before it enters your engine increasing horsepower and making having forced induction easier on your engine. ( for every 10 degrees you drop your air temp you add 1hp.) So unless you intend on putting out at least $1500 for a decent turbo kit, an intercooler is not going to be needed. From what you say you want (better gas milage, better looks under the hood, and more performance) your best bet would be to get a cold air intake some headers, exhaust and an engine dress up kit) Getting i/h/e (intake, headers, exhaust) would give you about a 20-25 hp increase depending on the quality of parts used. I would recommend Apex wsII as far as exhaust goes, nice smooth deep tone, not ricey at all. Now if you do want turbo, depending on how much boost you intend on running you will need to upgrade your fuel pump, get bigger injectors, get some sort of engine management, as well as the actual turbo kit itself. If your wanting to go with turbo, you will loose some gas milage when in boost. A good turbo to look at is Garrett and Turbonetics. I believe they make full kits for your car. depending on your budget a turbo is going to yield massive horsepower gains. So let me know how much money you have to work with and I'll give you and idea of what kind of power can be expected on that budget.

Turbo and budget dont go together in my experience but you can still get good MPG's with it. I get 32mpg still in my Accord if I drive it easy, good luck with that though :p

Thanks for the info

Well, it seems that a turbo is NOT going to be in my very near future:(
I wasn't aware that you needed to beef up the fuel system as well. Oh well, that's what these forums are for right? Now, that I have some info I'll be able to make a better informed decision when shopping for it, and not have this huge"TAKE MY MONEY" sign on my forehead. Thanks guys.^_^

The fuel system isnt that big of a deal rly. A set of injectors and a 255 pump in the tank will be about $300-$350. Xenocron.com sells some injectors that are reasonably priced :) You prolly wouldnt have to change the pump if you keep the boost around 6-8psi.

Call me a nerd if you want, but I really just love the sound of a turbo and that's the whole reason for even wanting one. Something about a car that goes, "VMMmmmmm....Psssssss" just makes me "grin"---->>:D ....

........that and an intercooler that sits out in front just looks f@#$in' BAD-ASS!!^_^

Watched a G35 coupe with a NASTY turbo go by the other day
..... had to change my shorts

Its rly nice when you're driving with the windows up and you can hear the air rushing into the motor. I totally understand the obsession with the noises of a turbo car, I had 3 at one time ;)

Back