extremely erratic idle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

evilgsr

Well once again my integra is sick. This time it seems to be the idle but i can't put my finger on what exactly is causing it, i'll be sitting with the car in neutral and the idle will jump from under 100 rpms (on the edge of death) to above 400 which is still a little to low for me; it will do this back and forth and back and forth, when its not bouncing back and forth the idle will stay extremely low. Ive tried simply turning the screw on the throttle body but it seems to hav no effect on it whatsoever, though when i unplug the idle control valve the car idles perfectly at 1000 rpms. My hanes manual tells me to unplug the icv and then adjust the idle with the screw but ive also heard you have to jump the ecu or turning the screw will have no effect; so i suppose basically what im asking is how exactly do i properly adjust my idle and is this problem attributed to my idle control valve or anything else of that nature (if it makes any difference i have a lighter flywheel which is known to make the car idle low but it has progressively developed a rougher and lower idle, also lately the car will barely start or not start at all on the first try) any help is greatly appreciated

could be a clogged iacv...

The correct way to adjust it, is screw the set screw in until the car barely idles. Then unplug the iacv, and set the idle from there. Then turn the car off, plug the IACV back in, and reset the ecu if necessary.

how could i clean it i mean would some carb cleaner and a toothbrush work or is it more complicated than that???

sorry to jack, but just disconnecting the conector to the IACV or actually unmounting it from the manifold? reason I ask is when I disconnect the connector going to the IACV the car dies.

I Have Also A Problem On My B16a Sir 2 On My Idle ,that Swap On My 00 Civic Dx Auto Tranny ,it Look Like The Iacv Is Not Working I Did The Wire Pinout That Was Show On The Iacv 3 Wire To 2 Wire Fix But Still The Same ,by The Way Im Using The 93 Integra Auto Tranny And The P2e Automatic Ecu ,icant Use The P30 Ecu Auto Coz Is Not Shifting ,im Still Using The Dx Harness We Just Put The Apexi 2 Vtec Controller To Make The Vtec Work .the Car Is Running With This Set Up But The Idle Is Going Up To 1300 Rpm When The Ac Is Not On And When It On And The Engine Is Cold When I Put In D4 The Idle Drop To 550rpm Is Anybody Can Help On My Problem Thanks

Ok my problems seems to relate in some ways, but a few differences... My 95 civic ex idles two seconds up and two seconds down. I don't have a tach on my car due to theft =/ so I can't tell you exactly. the idle doesn't seem to cause me any problems now, but i'm sure it will in the future. I disconnected my AC belt and Power Steering and also have a smaller/lighter crankshaft pulley a long time ago but the idling is more recient. Problem only comes up every now and then but how can I fix this before it gets worse? ... ooh and I reciently replaced my throttle cable too if that makes a difference.

Back