F20C S2000 motor swap...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Low-N-Slow

OK I have a '96 2dr Civic and I got this wild idea last night to swap in an s2000 motor and drivetrain so it will be rear wheel drive. I am more than likely going to build a full frame for my Civic because I am planing on cutting out the floor and doing a body drop to it. I am curious to know how hard its going to be to install the S2000 motor or if it will even work in my car. I dont think mounting it or space should be an issue since I can fab up the motor mounts on the frame rails and wount have the strut towers in my way. If anyone knows how much is involved or has any thoughts about it. Let me know. Thanks in advance.

you are going to get a lot of people giving you shit and saying "It's not worth it" and stuff like that. It will cost a shitload, require tons of fab work, but if you want to .. fuckin A go for it.

First off prick, how does asking a question mean you cant do something?? Are you kidding me, by asking qestions it allows you to gain more knowledge so thing can be done better. I know im able to do any fab work thats required and I got all the time in the world so if I cant get any help because of assholes like your self, ill figure it out on my own.

pills_PMD: I dont mind if people are gonna give me shit, but its different and something original. I found a complete F20C (S2000) Motor, Tranny, ECU for $3800 which isnt that $$$. I just need to find the drivetrain now.

It states you lack the knowledge.

Any motor can be put in any car, it takes time, money and fabrication. If you didn't know that, you shouldnt even bother attempting it. Saying will it work proves you don't know what you're getting yourself into.

Ever hear the saying "If you have to ask you can't afford it?", your case your just probably just a rich idiot.

On the other hand... wait nah, I could've helped but your comment just threw in the trash.

Try honda-tech.com, I'd like to see how they flame you when you go on there with your idea.

BTW, if you want a RWD car, buy one from the factory.

pills_PMD: I dont mind if people are gonna give me shit, but its different and something original. I found a complete F20C (S2000) Motor, Tranny, ECU for $3800 which isnt that $$$. I just need to find the drivetrain now.

I just need to find the drivetrain now.

This proves much of my point, technically the trans is most of the drivetrain, your conversion would require some more parts but it shows your a complete jackass.

If you knew what you were doing you would be askin, what type of rear end could I use? Driveshaft? along with what type of suspension modifications would be needed? Am I going to need a new gas tank, or should I just hack the shit out of mine?

See my point, you don't know what your doing, you're trying to gather parts to have someone do it for you, yet you have no idea what needs to be done.

Originally posted by Low-N-Slow@Jan 17 2005, 10:18 AM
[post=446777]Quoted post[/post]​

hence why i said go for it. there is always talk, but this is rarely done.

This proves much of my point, technically the trans is most of the drivetrain, your conversion would require some more parts but it shows your a complete jackass.

If you knew what you were doing you would be askin, what type of rear end could I use? Driveshaft? along with what type of suspension modifications would be needed? Am I going to need a new gas tank, or should I just hack the shit out of mine?

See my point, you don't know what your doing, you're trying to gather parts to have someone do it for you, yet you have no idea what needs to be done.
[post=446780]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

First off im far from a "rich idiot" as you put it, but thats not the issue. I dont need to know about suspension mods because im building a full frame for the car, which will consist of a custom made alum. fuel cell, and the suspension will be a hardlined hydraulic set up with accumulators. As for the rest of the "drivetrain" I am going to look into using the stock S2000 parts and modify them as needed. All work is being done in my garage by me and a friend so no one will be building this for me I am building it for myself. If you decide you want to give some advice feel free but if your just gonna be a dick go else where.

:thumbsup:

This isn't going to be easy, building a frame without the correct tools is going to be a chore, if you don't gett it straight its never going to be strong, it will end up handling like shit and you will end up have problems with it.

A custom driveshaft can be made pretty easy. I would suggest having one made for you. Again, if these aren't straight I've heard it could cause the car to flip or just end up not working correctly. This could also enable you to use whatever rear end you could make fit.

As for the rear Suspension. I couldn't tell you what to use but an upgraded S2k sounds decent.

I'm not to familiar with the s2k trans but I know the shifter position will defenitly not be the same as the stock civic one. You are going to end up cutting holes.

Exhaust should be pretty simple, although the driveshaft is going to take most of the middle section, but since you said this is going to be practiucally built from the ground up that should be easy to route to the back of the car.

You will have problems with wiring, but I can't say much for that, I suppose the engine and car could be converted to obd1 for convinience and performance. It shouldn't be that much of a hassle but it's going to be time consuming. i couldn't tell you what ECU to use but a Standalone system is probably going to be a very good investment.

When you have some more questions I'll answer them as best as I can.

I dont know how. But it sounds like a cool idea. Go for it and when it is done post some pictures... And for everone else asking questions is how to get it done. Just keep it cool and remember that.

oooo im curious to see this. a body dropped Civic with an S2k motor. i think it will be cool as hell to see. i see you are gonna run juice (hydros), why not bags? just curious... you plan on making it a cantilever suspension setup? 4-link? panhard bar?? just curious :)

seen it done to a dc2. dont know what the swap requires though, but it looks sweet. and for inspiration, refer to my sig.

Originally posted by BodyDroppedNikes@Jan 17 2005, 04:40 PM
oooo im curious to see this. a body dropped Civic with an S2k motor. i think it will be cool as hell to see. i see you are gonna run juice (hydros), why not bags? just curious... you plan on making it a cantilever suspension setup? 4-link? panhard bar?? just curious :)
[post=446961]Quoted post[/post]​

Im gonna run hydros with accumulators because I like the way it rides. If I decide to use the S2000 IRS then I will not need to 4 link it or any of that but it all depends... once I start I might change my mind and decide to 4 link it with a custom rearend. I will be getting started on this project in about 2 weeks after I buy a daily driver. Ill keep everyone posted on progress and plans.

Good luck on your project. I guarantee you will have more headaches and be out more money than if you just went out and bought a used s2k, or even an nsx for that matter. Well, the nsx is just an exageration, but seriously good luck. If I had time to kill and money to burn, I'd drop an nsx engine in the rear of my DA just for kicks. Buy lots of headache medicine.

I have thought about this swap quite a bit and decided the best way to do it would be to find a wrecked s2000 and buy it up and go from there, you can probably get one for <7k, and this project will require a lot of fabbing, so in reality its not so much expensive as it would be time consuming to make everything work.

Back