F23: Got Boost?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1sickaccord

whats up guys?

Huuum i see there is a lot of questions about adding a turbo to a F23 motor; so me bing the proud owner of one (and no where near the end of my little but damn near impossable project) come up here and anwser and ask some questions.
ok I'm running about 9lbs of boost on a stock motor with a fuel pump, fmu and 310cc injectors... after 2 days of the semi upgrade on my fuel system my check engine light came on, it was the knock sensor i know to to repair the problem but like all true tunners know its not repairing the problem its fixing it ... what could have caused that damn light to come on ? i thought maybe it was beacuse i was running lean but with all the upgrades that i've don to the fuel system that shouldnt be it .. and running rich would not cause the knock sensor to come on ... it pings when i open it up... i know its not the timing because i havent messed with it.... do you think i might have a bad FMU or someting ... please let me know im lost :huh:

You KNOW its not the timing, how do you know that? Do you have a ECU tuning device in there? NO, so, you have not retarded timing during boost which can cause knock. ESPECIALLY at 9psi with no timing retard.

Junk the FMU, keep the 310's and get a chipped ECU. Start reading how to tune with Crome, Crome is your friend :)

what type of ECU and chip should i use... i hear everyone talking about this p28 but im not sure on which one i sould use ... and as far as the timing thing goes do i have to retard the timing because prior to adding the FMU i didn't have a knock issuse?

The FMU does nothing for timing, it just increases fuel pressure to add more fuel in boost.

Its a non-vtec right? A P06 ecu will work fine, just use P30 tables and import a F23 stock rom.

naw its a 2.3 vtec sohc so i dont think that ecu would work.
i wasnt insisting that the FMU had anything to do with timing i was just troubleshooting i started to back track and prior to the engine code the Fmu wasnt installed .

hes right...crome is your friend. the FMU has nothing to do with timing, but you still might be running to lean (yes, even though you have an FMU) and that is causing your detonation. Get rid of the toys and start tuning like a man.

well what ecu set up should i use ... or should i solve the problem with the knock sensor. and whats the dela with this crome thing i thought hondata was the best.

crome is free. it has free updates, and it just plain works.

best is subjective, and there seems to be a concensus with those that have worked with both, that while hondata is good, crome is the best overall program.

i doubt it. im assuming youve got an obd2 ECU and really the only way to work with hondata or crome is to convert to obd1. you can always use VAFC..........but i wouldnt

does anyone know what ecu i can run with this setup .... everybodys saying get this get that but yet no one anwsers the question which ECU do i use for a freaking 2.3L shoc vtec motor!

i know the auto trans ecu is a PAA, i dont know what the M.T is.

That is stock. For your application, i would recommend running a p28 ecu for your application. itll require a conversion harness, but its the best for what you want. You can run hondata/crome/uberdata, AEM, Fast, megasquirt WHATEVER your tuner feels comfortable with. If you are the tuner, id put the reading glasses on...this is gonna be a steep learning curve.

check out pgmfi.org for a lot of tuning information (especially on crome). If you dont have a tuner, this is gonna be a difficult job for you to do alone. youll need a wideband, and a few other sensors to hook into your laptop to properly monitor things like exhaust temps, tps, air fuel curve, and rpms (acceleration).

id RECOMMEND having someone else tune your car for you if youve never had even the slightest experience with this. In the end, it will yeild the best results.

Back