fiberglass

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

aphex301

I bought a buddy club rear bumper for my 97 civic a week ago and it came in yesterday. I picked it up from the speed shop i bought it from, inspected it, and crammed it into my back-seat.

I handled it gently but i could of done a better job. Long story short, I cracked the side of the bumper on the drive home.

When people told me how crappy fiberglass was I really didnt think much of it, everyone whines about everything. Now its my turn to bitch.

Im now stuck with a cracked bumper, i got an estimate from one body shop
(im gonna check out others) and their estimate was 300 to fix the crack, mount it, and paint the bumper! I dont know too much about how body shops work, but that sounds waaay too much for the job.

check out my gallery for the pics:
https://hondaswap.com/gallery/browse.ph...hp?album_id=692

The mounting and painting sound like DIY job, but im not sure about the filling in of the fibreglass.

Anyone of you guys know anything about fiberglass, or a decent price for the job.

Any input is appreciated.

Fiberglass is easy to repair, go to home depot and buy some fiberglass cloth, resin, and hardener. Read the instructions. If it's just a "crack" then don't worry about it being hard to fix, a hole is alot different and more difficult if its on the end. But it'll be easy. I really reccomend a proffesiol paint job for it though (50 for each bumper). Mount it, unless ur really stupid almost anyone can mount a bumper, On my 92 there are I think 6 screws under the hatch door, 2 on the underside of the bumper, and 1 on each side (on the inside of the bumper).

thanks civicb,

I knew that repairing fiberglass wasnt that difficult or expensive. The body shop guy was making a big deal out of the crack, trying to pull one over on me.

Tomorrow im going to home depot to get the fiberglass materials. :thumbsup:

300 doesnt sound too bad. your link is fuct so im not sure how extensive the crack is but to do it correctly it takes some skill and its messy as hell. if its a spider crack make sure you grind out all the cracks otherwise youll end up with more later. if you want complete directions let me know ive done this shit more than i care to admit (semi hoods, truck boxsides, etc)

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Oct 15 2003, 05:38 PM
Fiberglass is easy to repair, go to home depot and buy some fiberglass cloth, resin, and hardener. Read the instructions. If it's just a "crack" then don't worry about it being hard to fix, a hole is alot different and more difficult if its on the end. But it'll be easy. I really reccomend a proffesiol paint job for it though (50 for each bumper). Mount it, unless ur really stupid almost anyone can mount a bumper, On my 92 there are I think 6 screws under the hatch door, 2 on the underside of the bumper, and 1 on each side (on the inside of the bumper).

50 a bumper? where the fuck do you go macco? if their using halfway decent paint its going to be that much for materials alone.

xyswany,

I'm pretty sure i fixed the link. When i run into problems, ill start bothering you.

Fixing the bumper cannot be as hard as trying to eat a pomegranate while typing this post.

300 painted and mount is a ok price before you play with it youd better know what your getting into

that crack isnt too bad, just grind the front and back of the crack with some 36 grit, clean it off with some alcohol, blow it off, brush some resin on, then sgtart laying your glass. make sure the glass is SOAKED with resin and try not to get air bubles.

Err,
some people are really good at making difficult things sound easy. Im gonna go for it.

:boxing: Bring it on fiberglass bumper :boxing:

:D itll be a good learning experiance for ya.

It's not hard, the first time i ever used firberglass, I decided to go ahead and shave my moldings, if you want pictures I'll show you. Then I went on to door handles, then the license plate holder. I also made a custom license plate holder for the bumper. And let me remind you guys this was like the first time ive ever used fiberglass, and i think it looks decent. How do I put pictures in anyway?

Now thats fucked up, fiberglass isn't that hard to use. If he just follows the directions right he'll be just fine

92civicb18b1 Posted on Oct 16 2003, 12:33 PM
Now thats fucked up, fiberglass isn't that hard to use. If he just follows the directions right he'll be just fine
smooth_criminal Posted on Oct 16 2003, 12:27 PM
IF you end up fucking up your bumper. I have a brand new BC rear end for sale 80$ Also have the front to 80$

hehe, thats funny.
i fiberglassed some of my dash, gonna get it painted when i paint the car.. stuff isn't that hard.. i made a console out of fiberglass too.. the kit you can buy at wal-mart is ok, i would goto like napa or something they got better cloth you can even use old shirts.. whatever you wanna use as long as the resign and harder can work together on it..

hahaha, if he already bought a kit, I'm sure he can afford $5 worth of fiberglasss cloth. Shit you gotta be ghetto as hell to use old shirts, I bet it doesnt sand down well.

Ok, im feeling like i can do this.

Go buy the resin, hardener, fiberglass...follow the directions.

Can anyone give my a little walkthrough, or a "cliffnotes-esque" type checklist before i actually start the process? Hopefully i could start later on today.

---thanks, matt

Ok,

What you need
fiberglass resin
"liquid" hardener
fiberglass cloth

First sand the area down with coarse grit sandpaper, wash it off good. Mix th resin and hardener together, I think its 1/2 a bottle of resin to half a tube of hardener. Cut the cloth the size you need it and lay it on a non porus surface. Use a paint brush to doak the cloth. After the cloth is fully soaked, pick it up and place it on the damaged area. Use a plastic spreader to push all the air bubbles out. After it dries sand it with coarse sand paper, and then finish it off with fine 150+ sandpaper. Prime and get it painted

rubber gloves could be useful too but if ur broke then just wash your hands after.

ok, that helps a lot, thanks.

I would be in the shitter right now if i didnt have the help from all the cool peeps at hondaswap. :thumbsup:

--matt

Back