finally found a spot

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
well ive been looking for a decent gym to continue my interest in MMA(mixed martial arts). well this weekend was homecoming so we had alot of fraternity alumni come around. saterday i get to talking to this one guy justin who i know has had a few amatuer fights. well in conversation i find out that he actually trains guys at a gym now like 5 minutes from my school. its called TNT Karate and at the moment they hold 5 world titles. im so amped to start, but also i think im going to be over my head for the first few months. i have a wrestling background and know some submission but im just wondering if anyone here knows of anything i should look into in addition to possibly know some more skills before i start.

um...

how can you possibly be into working out and getting in shape and training.. w hen you drink to the point of blacking out at least once a week?

first stop drinking and learn to eat right ( I am currently 2/0 and getting ready for my first ticked fight feb 27) then get a good set of weights at home for the days you don't go to the gym. Cardio is your friend (I have both a treadmill and bike at home) 12 mins dosn't seem long but after the first 30 secs you will be in a new world.
The most important thing is medical insurance make sure you have it My eyebrow got poped open and an er doc can patch it up but a plastic surg can make sure it will never reopen

if hes drinkin liquor he's alright, but beer expands the gut, big time.

Unless you have a martial arts background it's really hard to know just how good/bad they are the fact that they talk about being MMA I wouldnt think much about it. IMO someone who is a true MMA fighter is some one who has been ranked in 3-4 different styles. Not someone who learns a bunch of small shit from each style and mushes them together to say "My style is MMA"

I'd check it out, you might really enjoy it, however half of Martial arts to me is the true background of the art and that might be something this school lacks. There's not that many dojos out there that focus on the true art that martial arts is, rather they go after the people who want to jump in a ring and swing fist and be a UFC star.

If you want to learn martial arts I would sign up for 1 month and then move around to different schools 1+ months at a time. you should get an idea at how different they are from each other.

I just saw that their classes are 45 mins long.

I wouldnt think twice to pass that school up. I bet they're also out the ass $$$$ wise.

A class should be AT LEAST 90mins long. 45 mins is just getting warmed up. I can't even run thru the basic katas in that time. F that.

Also, if you're looking for a work out and maybe some ring time. TKD (tae kwon do) is a wonderful sport.

It's very rule bound just like wrestling but its over all a great (SPORT) It might be worth looking into.

As for TKD, make sure you find a really good school that is worthwhile. There are many schools out there that claim to be TKD, but are really just a sad excuse for it. Look into something that is very history-oriented, rather than "sport" oriented, and you will find a very good martial arts school. I took TKD for like 6 years through the United States Taekwon-Do Federation. (look at www.ustf-itf.com) In my opinion, it gives a very good background, which you can use to get into other martial arts afterwards.

Quoted post[/post]]
As for TKD, make sure you find a really good school that is worthwhile. There are many schools out there that claim to be TKD, but are really just a sad excuse for it. Look into something that is very history-oriented, rather than "sport" oriented, and you will find a very good martial arts school. I took TKD for like 6 years through the United States Taekwon-Do Federation. (look at www.ustf-itf.com) In my opinion, it gives a very good background, which you can use to get into other martial arts afterwards.

Too bad TKD has almost no history =)~ it was fromed in I belive the 50s.

It also tends to be the other way around. Schools will say KARATE but will really be a TKD school. 90% of Karate schools in this area teach nothing but TKD

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

Too bad TKD has almost no history =)~ it was fromed in I belive the 50s.

It also tends to be the other way around. Schools will say KARATE but will really be a TKD school. 90% of Karate schools in this area teach nothing but TKD

Go to bullshido.net ... They will set you straight. Take MT, Kyukoshin, BJJ, Judo... any of that is good..

Quoted post[/post]]
um...

how can you possibly be into working out and getting in shape and training.. w hen you drink to the point of blacking out at least once a week?
i dont do it once a week. i rarely ever black-out. and i am in decent shape. i drink only beer yet i still have a tight stomach even though i only run when i go to the gym.

besides, just like when i wrestled, i dont even let caffiene into my system let aloe alcohol when im in season.

im just going to go train at this school and see whats up. if i feel like im not learning anything, or not learning the right stuff then ill look for a different place.

Blanco, that first paragraph went WAY over my head. Dojang what? Tang Soo Do huh? Soo Bahk Do hmm?

Who comes up with these names? :p

Quoted post[/post]]
:werd: does that have noodles in it???
:laugh: that shit goes right ovewr my head. me and my roommate want to get into some kind of martial art and don't know where to start. we got a friend who does Kung fu, but not really sure if thats something for a beginner to get into.

sorry, not trying to threadjack

Quoted post[/post]]
Besides the fact that I study it, I'd recommend Tang Soo Do/Soo Bahk Do over TKD simply because of a more balanced upper and lower body attack program. Both arts have the same kicks and good TKD dojangs will teach the same hip movement of TSD/SBD. But TSD/SBD incorporates a lot of Northern Shoalin hand techniques, minus the trapping.

And it's not that we think that you won't learn anything or the right stuff, we think you might be getting in over your head without a prior background in martial arts. :)
like i said, im going to start there and maybe later i could train at a gym that teaches stuff like that too.

i understand that you may think im getting in over my head, but i know my own abilities. i would never walk into an MMA fight knowing that i was not ready or outgunned. ill train as long as i have to in order to feel comfortable fighting.

im also very interested in this. if i did this i'd have to put my car project on hold. i dont want to be some ufc superstar but i would like to learn somthing. im so unsure about where to start though. but i cant just start throwing money out each month to different schools. good luck with your training. and let us know how it works out.

im watching ufc now and just found out that matt hughes (champ at 170) had only a wrestling background before starting MMA. obviously he was a much better wrestler than i ever was but i dont plan on winning UFC main events. i want to get a few amateur fights and do well.

Quoted post[/post]]
im also very interested in this. if i did this i'd have to put my car project on hold. i dont want to be some ufc superstar but i would like to learn somthing. im so unsure about where to start though. but i cant just start throwing money out each month to different schools. good luck with your training. and let us know how it works out.
luckily my car project has still really yet to get off the ground.

(Welp) once again MMA is way over used as an art form.

Anywho, I pay jack shit for my training I do 1 on 1 with my teacher. =)

If anyone is in the area I wouldnt mind picking up a student of my own.

Back