finally found a spot

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1 on 1 or at least very small classes (5 or less) are the way to go
you learn a lot more
you learn a lot faster
you learn more useful shit

i took a mixed class of Judo Ju Jitsu and Aikido (havnet been back since my bike accident :cry: but really thinking of getting back into it)
i really enjoyed it a lot... you learn a lot of stuff that is quite useful for real world situations... lots of chokes, joint locks, submission holds, and a lot of ground work
striking isnt really tought too much untill you get the other stuff down
i was doing security at raves at the time and i must say, nothing better than a good joint lock or choke to stop someone from resisting or trying to fight with you (a mag light and a taser also help :wink: )
but seriously for real world use i think those 3 work very well... they are very complementary and play off of eachother nicely... for more of a striking style i personally would lean to mui thai kickboxing (had a friend who use to study that... its impressively brutal) but im more of a passive person and dont usually start fights, so something more defensive, designed to end a conflict quickly is more geared to me

place in southington kinda by the movies... not sure if its still there or not or if chad is still instructing there (its been 5 years and he was kinda old :) )
but if i get back into it i will be studying under my friend mike (hes been taking classes there for about 20 years and instructing for about 10)

Quoted post[/post]]
1 on 1 or at least very small classes (5 or less) are the way to go
you learn a lot more
you learn a lot faster
you learn more useful shit

i took a mixed class of Judo Ju Jitsu and Aikido (havnet been back since my bike accident :cry: but really thinking of getting back into it)
i really enjoyed it a lot... you learn a lot of stuff that is quite useful for real world situations... lots of chokes, joint locks, submission holds, and a lot of ground work
striking isnt really tought too much untill you get the other stuff down
i was doing security at raves at the time and i must say, nothing better than a good joint lock or choke to stop someone from resisting or trying to fight with you (a mag light and a taser also help :wink: )
but seriously for real world use i think those 3 work very well... they are very complementary and play off of eachother nicely... for more of a striking style i personally would lean to mui thai kickboxing (had a friend who use to study that... its impressively brutal) but im more of a passive person and dont usually start fights, so something more defensive, designed to end a conflict quickly is more geared to me
that sounds more along the lines of what i want to do. i figure i could be a good ground fighter because of the wrestling and once i get that down i can move to striking.

KU%20Theory%20Chart.gif

Like I said before, if anyone wants to learn KU just let me know.

i have some kenpo books, steve sanders (black guy with affro from enter the dragon) was my dads kenpo sensei

i have his book autographed :wink:

I think a lot of people are focusing on the wrong thing here, the small picture; it doesn't matter who he fights for or what background he's training from, it matters that if its his passion he's doing what he loves with his life.

Sure it may be more beneficial and well rounded to learn other art forms, but whoever you ask is going to suggest whatever their personal art is or whats currently winning the MMA fights; I know that brazillian jinjitsu was becoming large and successful for just that reason.

Personally I'd prefer brazillian jinjitsu over other arts, although I am not very well versed in martial arts, simply because the fighting style is a lot like wrestling with more throws and a lot of ground work; its not hard to go from throwing legal arm bars in wrestling to throwing a submission arm bar in a MMA match. I'm unfamiliar with the art that Blanco is talking about, but it sounds like another art that I would enjoy learning and training since its a survival based art and those are usually the most effective.

When it comes down to it, just make sure you're doing what you love with life because you only live it once. Don't let others be your critic, be your own and make the best possible life for yourself. There's a saying that a very intelligent man once reinforced with me; Shit or get off the pot.

My .02 cents, they're worth even less in these parts.

Quoted post[/post]]
I think a lot of people are focusing on the wrong thing here, the small picture; it doesn't matter who he fights for or what background he's training from, it matters that if its his passion he's doing what he loves with his life.

I think people are trying to give him insight to the many different styles of marital arts. He asked a question (is this school good) welp, IMO doesnt sound too good but with out spending a few classes there I wouldnt know. However styles that we (martial artest) have enjoyed are (read post from before)

Bottom line he needs to go out there and try a few different schools out. He'll know after going to 3-4 different places what it is he would like to do.

with out getting hands on with each school he'll never know what his passion is martial arts wise.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

I think people are trying to give him insight to the many different styles of marital arts. He asked a question (is this school good) welp, IMO doesnt sound too good but with out spending a few classes there I wouldnt know. However styles that we (martial artest) have enjoyed are (read post from before)

Bottom line he needs to go out there and try a few different schools out. He'll know after going to 3-4 different places what it is he would like to do.

with out getting hands on with each school he'll never know what his passion is martial arts wise.

Understandable. That sounds like some solid advice, rather than "that school sounds like it sucks, bail out before you even try it." Variety is the spice of life and if he doesn't even give the school a chance, he'll never know. Try it out, the worst that happens is he doesn't like it and he bails out, its that simple.

Then the Tuition Ninjas will stalk him, and he won't have enough training to fight.

i say, train for a few months. Then, when the Sensei isn't looking.... you saw him in half with an over-under 10 gauge. But you gotta say something catchy like "Remington for teh win" or "Wax on, Shut up old man!"

Quoted post[/post]]
Then the Tuition Ninjas will stalk him, and he won't have enough training to fight.

i say, train for a few months. Then, when the Sensei isn't looking.... you saw him in half with an over-under 10 gauge. But you gotta say something catchy like "Remington for teh win" or "Wax on, Shut up old man!"

Steve, I do believe you're the single handed reason why there's such a controversy against the NRA and people feel the necessity for gun control. :cry:

You're scaring me.

also double check to see if they really do have only 45 min classes. if that's the case it would be like reading the bible 1 paragraph at a time. However since it would take so long to read the whole book you would forget half the other shit so you would have to read it again.

bottom line you really don't get fully warmed up for a good 20-30 mins. if they only offer 45 min classes I wouldnt even waste your time checking it out.

Just becuase they have teachers or (key) students that have won events doesnt mean the new paying students will. lots of schools are out there to make money. Anywho, Im heading out the door right now for my class, it's for 3 hours today. That should be enough to cover a good bit (not all) of my BASIC katas and wazas.

Quoted post[/post]]
:werd: There's that very excellet point, as well. That would be the only reason, without any of us actually being able to step foot inside the school, to not go. There's just too much ground to cover, especially for someone with no martial art background.

Think about what you know from wrestling practice. Would 45 minutes, including warm up time, be enough to get proficient at ring skills?
very good point. but i would most likely work with the competition team. those arent 45 minute classes.

and i do have somewhat of a background. like i said before, wrestlers make good MMA fighters. plus my high school wrestling coach was an MMA fighter and taught the whole team alot of cool stuff. i already have a good base in chokes and im decent with locks. the striking and kicking are the areas where i have little to no background besides what ive learned from street fighting.

yeah, i saw the ultimate fighter finale too. anyone remember Kit Cope???
from True Life: I'm a Muay Thai Fighter. i was sad to see him have to tap.

anyways.
erebuni, do some research b4 you start anything. i did TKD for 9years. and loved it. great sport, but not soo much real world application. im glad our Sabomnim was also 5th dan hapkido, and 3rd dan Karate-do, so we got alot of other training to strenghten our base of TKD. basiclly

TKD - "foot hand way" mostly kicks, few punches.
Judo - sweeps and throws. also great sport aspect
Aikido - joint locks. sweet martial art, what i want to take next.
Kendo - Weapon based, also extremely cool
Jujitsu - grappling, lots of submissions
Muay Thai - kickboxing with knees and elbows.

if you want to be a MMA fighter in my opinion you need to take Jujitsu, Muay Thai, and maybe even straight boxing.

if you just want to learn to defend yourself and get in shape, i would say judo.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
:werd: There's that very excellet point, as well. That would be the only reason, without any of us actually being able to step foot inside the school, to not go. There's just too much ground to cover, especially for someone with no martial art background.

Think about what you know from wrestling practice. Would 45 minutes, including warm up time, be enough to get proficient at ring skills?
very good point. but i would most likely work with the competition team. those arent 45 minute classes.

and i do have somewhat of a background. like i said before, wrestlers make good MMA fighters. plus my high school wrestling coach was an MMA fighter and taught the whole team alot of cool stuff. i already have a good base in chokes and im decent with locks. the striking and kicking are the areas where i have little to no background besides what ive learned from street fighting.

That's the part that we're talking about. :)
so im not sure i get your point. im going to train at this gym to learn to strike and kick and hone my ground skills.

Quoted post[/post]]
so im not sure i get your point. im going to train at this gym to learn to strike and kick and hone my ground skills.

The point is, striking and kicking is at the core of an arm. You have to know how to transfer weight and momentum to carry an effective punch, along with speed and balance - its really not as simple as it appears to be. They're saying that you should go to a traditional school to learn these core techniques for the best possible results.

I would agree with them, but if this school is cheap, convenient, and you just want to get a few bouts under your belt go for it - its just not going to be the most effective.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

The point is, striking and kicking is at the core of an arm. You have to know how to transfer weight and momentum to carry an effective punch, along with speed and balance - its really not as simple as it appears to be. They're saying that you should go to a traditional school to learn these core techniques for the best possible results.

I would agree with them, but if this school is cheap, convenient, and you just want to get a few bouts under your belt go for it - its just not going to be the most effective.

Lets look at this like a new language would you like to learn 5 common words from 4 different countries or would you rather move to 1 country and learn to speak the language fluent?

I study KU (traditional okinawan karate) I knew how to punch, kick, block, throw, submit, however I didnt really understand half of what the things ment. After about 1-2 years worth of training I found out that every move is a letter in the alphabet. Once you learn them you can spell out most anything. I can watch a kata and pull out what the move are really for, in your eyes with out training an outside block followed by a punch is just that (block the punch coming at you and firing off a punch back) however, to a trained person it's many different things.

Leaning every kick and punch in the book as with a lot of ground work is better then having nothing under your belt, however, until you spend time in a true martial art style you will never fully understand just what you are doing. I speak about this from having many years under my belt of 2 different styles. and the best person to tell you just what Im talking about is my current teacher. he spent 12 years of his life doing a style that had zero answers for any of the real questions he had. what questions he had you wouldnt understand. but in time you will ask them youself.

Go to the class you're talking about then do yourself a favor make a point to go to one of the KU seminars. I put money on it that it will open your eyes to a whole new world of what martial arts really is. People come from all over the world to attend them.

http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/Patrick%20Mc...e%20default.htm

Check out the link it has seminar group photos. Maybe they have one near you.

Quoted post[/post]]
And yeah, once you learn how a martial artist thinks and you perform thousands of repetitions of techniques, you'll be able to pick things right out from other styles. Hell, you'll even find some useful techniques in some of Jackie Chan's movies. :laugh:
i know all about finding my style and what works for me, i did it for wrestling. but just like wrestling, i respected someone who was better than me. respected their knowledge and learned what they thought i should learn. then i picked up some cool shit from other people and watching tournaments along the way.

Back