Finished my speakers (DIY Home Audio - 56k beware)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TommyTheCat

Gonzo Scientist
Well, since none of you have probably seen my now dead blog on here: I've finally gotten my speakers done. Its a design thats similar to Adire Audio's Kit61, utilizing Adire's Extremis 7" midwoofer. You can find the project I used here:
Extremis
I guess my buddy put it best, because I've no good speakers to compare these to. He's got a slightly older set of EV three-way towers with a 15" woofer. Now, these are not efficient speakers, but he said he could hear so much more midrange detail. He said he was "delightfully suprised" and they've got just as much bass, if not more low bass (25-35hz material). BTW the enclosure is .8 cuft tuned to 32hz, output is more like a 10" than a 7".

extremis0012mt.jpg

Got the rig together with my buddy, with whom I built two sets of these bad boys.

extremis0049yw.jpg

Had the .75"MDF all cut up and started to glue and screw 'em together.

extremis0077dl.jpg

Took me like 6 hours to build all the crossovers and make sure they'd fit and work the first time.

extremis0098xs.jpg

Making sure everything is good to go before we seal them up, If you can see they've got an inch of sound mat lining the inside. They'll also be stuffed each with about a half a cu. ft. of polyfill. No midrange coming from the box here :D

extremis0140bf.jpg

Here's the rig set up in my apartment. Onkyo amp (maybe 75W per chan) and Behringer DEQ2496 - full RTA, 30band Graphic EQ and 10band Parametric EQ. Haven't used the EQ much except to tame the room boost in the bass freqs.

extremis0235eh.jpg

These old Bose 501's are now relegated to speaker stand duty.

extremis0251ss.jpg

Here's a close up. Used about two coats of low gloss black paint. Same stuff we used to paint the stage of our highschool theatre.

My full gallery is here: CarStereos.Org / SoundIllusions.Net - CarStereos.Org Photo Gallery - Extremis

Last edited:
Thanks guys, got 'em rehosted now. Original gallery still works.

Imagehosts pwn3d me. (So I'll rape imageshack and not use thumbnails to get my revenge)

That looks damn good, how much did it run you to put it all together? Did you find blue prints online or did you just study excisting equitment? Thats pretty badass you put that all together.

Drake said:
That looks damn good, how much did it run you to put it all together? Did you find blue prints online or did you just study excisting equitment? Thats pretty badass you put that all together.

hes pretty much an audio god. :)

If you look at the first link I put up, I copied that design: Extremis

Lets see...I've been trying to add it all up so my friend can pay me, but this is about how it broke down for me:
tweeters: 60
woofers: 150
crossovers: 100
box+ misc materials: 100
So about 400 bucks a pair. Mind you, the woofers are used but in good condition and the kit Adire (who makes the woofer) sells goes for 215 a piece with no enclosure (tweeter, woofer, and crossover parts - unassembled). I also caught a break on eBay to get some of the parts, so all in all I saved about 100 bucks a pair from "retail".

That isnt bad at all. I may have to look into somthin like that. Agian looks really good!

Those came out really well. I have always wanted to build my own speakers, but never got into it.

No, I'm not quite sure on the freq. response. In the fall I'll be returning to MTU (I think) and the AES group has a setup I can get reliable unsmoothed graphs from. My Behringer EQ unit has an RTA, but the cheap mic has its own FR that drops like a rock after ~10k. I need to get a new one or have it measured itself.

I cant tell if you're sarcastic.

I'm trying to plan some tests, using an EQ, for myself to decide what I really feel is a necessary FR from a speaker. I cant hear over 17k, so anyone quoting they need digital audio resolution to 40k because of harmonics is crazy. They care more about their power cords not touching the ground.

Back