First Car?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CFweave

I'm 16 years old and I need some help figuring out what kind of car I should get. I'm partial to Hondas mostly, but will consider other cars. The cars I'm seriously considering are the '92-'96 Prelude and Integra. I'm looking for something that's easy to maintain, reliable, safe, and fun to drive. I also need something that won't cost too much (between 2 and 5 thousand) or have a high insurance cost. I'm not into the ricer scene, so it doesn't have to be something as common as a Civic or Integra. Right now I was thinking about a '90-'93 Integra 4 door with a nice, quiet exhaust and a set of 15'' Rotas. What do you guys think I should consider?

My only 2 cars were 5th gen civics. I had a coupe now i have a hatch. I suggest you pick a hatch up. There is someone selling a hatch already swapped out with a gsr here on hondaswap. Id check it out if i were you. And atleast where i live hondas=high insurance at young ages. I picked mine up for 3900 and it hasnt had a problem yet. And good luck on the search. There is my .02

it really depends on your area.

in east butfuck montana, a civic won't cost anything to insure.
in LA, it will.

a lot of folks are getting out of the honda scene. and frankly, for 5k, you can easily picked up a pre-swapped civic of some sort.
check the classifieds here, and honda-tech.com

Honda's are nice.

I'd stay away from swapped cars if you need to pass emissions. If you don't, then a swapped car may be the way to go. Just make sure you are not buying someone elses problem. I swapped my car properly, but I have seen a lot of hacked up wiring and engine lights in several swaps. If you buy a swapped car, make sure there are no problems whatsoever.

Civics are a little more fun to drive, and get better mileage, but lack most of the extras, including room.

Accords to me are a nice medium. With a swap, my accord is quick and comfortable.

Preludes are quick and comfortable for the driver and passenger, but lack room. They also would be higher for insurance.

Nothing wrong with a Teg, but I don't have any experience with them.

Thanks for your advice. I'm a little limited on what I'm allowed to get as my dad thinks CRX's and Civics are too small. I'm not certain about New Jersey's laws about engine swaps, but I think I'd have to pass emissions. I think an Accord with an H23 swap could be fun...it is possible to get a '94-'97 Accord and correctly swap the motor for less than 5k?

If you're swapping into an accord JDM h22a is the only way to go :p

....but thats a lot more than $5000 (if you include the car, the swap by itself is about 5k)

I would go for an integra with a gsr engine, but thats only cause you might not be able to pull off a crx, im almost 19 and ive owned 9 cars including 2 crx's and hondas are the BEST. The only other car that came close was my corolla hatchback 5 speed. Out of jeep, chevy, cadillac, geo, toyota, plymouth, and mercury my crxs one with 257,000 miles (that im driving now) are the most fun to drive and best on gas. When you get 40 mpg in an hf gas prices are like 50 cents a gallon to you. Also im in college and i was able to move all my stuff in 2 trips with my 2 seater hatchback. Porche would be cool but honda's rule.

Thanks for the advice...maybe I'll just get the DA and swap a VTEC head on it...maybe my dad won't notice :D

Back