fix or buy another?

buy another tranny or fix mine

• fix tranny for i dont know how mu

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by B18C_NA@Feb 10 2004, 01:22 PM
The magnetic inspection, when the deposits are found, should be a black to silver fine grains. These grains are found at the couple last quarts of fluids when draining. The deposits are place under a metalurgic scope tester, which the metal will be defined. When the deposits are identified as IT-32 compositions, it's basically that the tranny will be the problem, which actually means that the deposits found matches the tranny component's elements.

A full rebuild might run 2000.00, assuming the diff is not involved- which it never is in manuals with normal failure. Why would you pay for this and why would you need a computer to tell you that the metal you just removed from the tranny came from....drumroll....the tranny? It's a sealed unit, where else would it come from? I have never seen a computer to identify metallurgy at a Honda dealer and as you must know since you are a Honda Master Tech, every dealership is required by Honda to have every necessary tool on hand to perform any factory recommended pratice at all times, regardless of whether or not they use them. They don't even ask all of the time, they ship them to the dealer and send you a bill.

not to stray too far from the thread...pick your buget, your tranny, and your battles. Build it yourself if you can, if not buy a LSD equipped tranny and sell yours to someone who can build one. I can, so I prefer to get ones that need rebuilds- lots of guys would buy it. If it's just grinding and not blown it should fetch a descent price -minus the cost of your type-r trans and you've got a pretty good bargin for less than the cost of the build. Good chioce with the trans you picked.

tearing apart tranny's is no fun. theres 100s if not 1000s of parts. a quick peep in a service manual will tell you the same thing.

Me, i won't even open one. not a chance. not even to install a diff.
that's why i bought mine with one in it already.

agreed tranny's are not worth the time or money. If you suspect something is wrong thats a perfect reason (excuse) to buy a new one. Like a shinny ITR with LSD hmmmm....... traction

Originally posted by B18C_NA@Feb 10 2004, 01:22 PM
First of all, I'm a ASE Master certified Tech for Honda. Honda uses four methods of inspection. Magnetic inspection, Visual Inspection, Mechanical Inspection, and Computerized Inspection. The magnetic inspection, when the deposits are found, should be a black to silver fine grains. These grains are found at the couple last quarts of fluids when draining. The deposits are place under a metalurgic scope tester, which the metal will be defined. When the deposits are identified as IT-32 compositions, it's basically that the tranny will be the problem, which actually means that the deposits found matches the tranny component's elements. This Leads into Visual Inspection, Mechanical, and then Computerized. Which they all charge like 2000 bucks. This is why honda inspections are so expensive. It's a long process.

i work at for a acura dealership but im not a tech but i know every single machine we have and i have never seen that before.

I like it when people here talk about their automotive backgrounds. Let the transmission debate continue. P.S. get a new one.

Back