Flashing code 17

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicrus

My ECU is saying I have a bad VSS, but I have replaced it twice and My speedometer still don't work. Do anyone know if I have another bad VSS, or do you guys think its a bad gauge cluster, or something else?

Quoted post[/post]]
check wire continuity?
+1
It sounds more like a bad ground or a wire short.
My VSS CEL came on, it was full of water, dried it out and cleaned it up, works great.
PS: It's NOT your cluster, your cluster doesn't care whether or not your VSS is working, and your ECU doesn't ask your cluster whether or not your VSS is working, it checks the sensor.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
check wire continuity?
+1
My VSS CEL came on, it was full of water, dried it out and cleaned it up, works great.
PS: It's NOT your cluster, your cluster doesn't care whether or not your VSS is working, and your ECU doesn't ask your cluster whether or not your VSS is working, it checks the sensor.
+1
He has answered your question. If you aren't familiar with wiring, have someone look at it for you.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
check wire continuity?
+1
+1
He has answered your question. If you aren't familiar with wiring, have someone look at it for you.
Cluster has not a thing to do with VSS signal.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
check wire continuity?
+1
+1

will if the cluster is bad it will not take the signal from the vss there for not working

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
check wire continuity?
+1
+1

will if the cluster is bad it will not take the signal from the vss there for not working
I disagree.
Take your cluster out, drive around the block, come back and plug it in.
Check for CELs stored using the paperclip.

alright here is a quick tip for most hondas
when you drive if the spedo does not work and the miles roll you need a guage

if they both dont you need a vss

That pretty much applies to any car or truck with a similar setup. The original question has nothing to do with his speedo working. Read and you will see that this guy keeps getting a VSS code and has repeatedly replaced the sensor. The problem must be in the wiring or (much less likely) the PCM. The cluster will not cause the PCM to see a problem in the VSS circuit. Period.

wont a bad cluster set code? i think it would if it could not recive signal. if the ecu send signal to cluster and cluster is inop wont the ecu see the problem, then set code.

So did you ever find out what was causing the problem? I have the SAME exact problem in my 95 Prelude SI right now. The D4 light blinks and I always throw a code 17 even after I replaced the VSS with a brand new one from Honda.

Back