Floodgates = open

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

no clue.
im thinking a tiny tiny island about 1000 miles from anything.

bora bora maybe?

maybe just get in a boat and find an uninhabited island.
there are some that are population free.
could go to mexico and start a new country, hell, most of their people are here.

so glad about my new job now. Maybe i can move to one of the over seas offices before 2012.

we're covering this in my Philosophy of Law class (PHIL 344)

basically, constitutionally, corporations are considered "persons" and thus protected by the first amendment. This includes campaign contributions which are a form of expression. Strictly looking at this as a constitutional matter this is a great decision.

Realistically this is bad. But, it will take a constitutional amendment, redefining the definition of person to overturn this. It's just one of those things that the framer's couldn't have anticipated...

oh really? you telling me that the east india corporation couldnt have backed any candidate so heavily that they would have submerged the competition?

basically, constitutionally, corporations are considered "persons" and thus protected by the first amendment. This includes campaign contributions which are a form of expression. Strictly looking at this as a constitutional matter this is a great decision.

Realistically this is bad. But, it will take a constitutional amendment, redefining the definition of person to overturn this. It's just one of those things that the framer's couldn't have anticipated...
You do realize that the URL in your signature is "Camp Ass-More", right?

maybe just get in a boat and find an uninhabited island.
there are some that are population free.
could go to mexico and start a new country, hell, most of their people are here.

Its funny that most people trash immigrants and THEY THEMSELVES want to immigrate to another country. :p

I try to keep away from these threads because it usually ends like hell, but Everybody has their own views on everything.

it will take a constitutional amendment, redefining the definition of person to overturn this. It's just one of those things that the framer's couldn't have anticipated...

Not true. They DID anticipate the rise of facist corporations.

It was originally ILLEGAL for any corporation to get a business license if their charter were for anything other than the "public good".

Delaware was the 1st state in the union to allow companies to opperate for their OWN good in exchange for higher taxation. The 1st company to obtain a business license to opperate for its own good was owned by the Rockefellers.

The rest is history.

I'm at work and don't have time to Google, but wasn't it a court decision some time in the early 1800's that defined corporations as people under the law? That's the exact point at which we started downhill.

Snaefell Mountain Course - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

492px-Isle_of_Man_TT_Course_%28OpenStreetMap%29.svg.png

Looks like a good island to me. :D :D :D

The issue here this gives the UAW a blank check to put whoever they would like in whatever position they would like. Same for the oil companies and the defense industry.

Because most people are so god damn retarded you end up with any of these special intrest groups running ads against a candidate they do not like claiming they eat babies and fuck horses on the full moon and guess what!?!?!? The sheeple will buy it hook line and sinker. Have you ever seen the shit that gets passed off as truth in an email? And how many people believe that completely, well Americans are conditioned to panic/cheer/cry/yell at anything that shows up on t.v.

I agree 100% however, look what happened in MA. Martha Coakley ran the Scott Brown eats babies ads and it didn't work. I think people are getting pretty tired of all the bullshit and starting to actually pay attention. There is some pretty major unrest and dissent going on right now and a lot of the people that voted for Obama are realizing that he is not a savior, a god, a deity, a master of the political landscape or anything else. He is a fuckin clown

:werd: :withstupid:

where is this "utopia" that are you planning on running to, that isnt already more fucked up than we are here???

Ireland is pretty nice. I've heard great things about New Zealand too...

Its funny that most people trash immigrants and THEY THEMSELVES want to immigrate to another country. :p

I try to keep away from these threads because it usually ends like hell, but Everybody has their own views on everything.

that was more intended to be a joke.
i have no issue with immigrants, my main issue is the illegals that feel that they have no reason to learn english or do anything but be selfish pricks and feel like we should bend to them.
learn english, and actually attempt to get legalized, and im all good.
i wont be trying to sneak into any countries, im planning on doing it legally.
but, we've had these discussions many a time, and i didnt mean to pick a nerve.

Not 1000 miles away, but "independent" with lots of good roads and tons without speed limits.

Isle of Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:D

rep.

Ireland is pretty nice. I've heard great things about New Zealand too...

i have heard very good things about new zealand. but, theres probably a lot of bad unheard.
but from the pics i have seen its a very beautiful country.

a lot of the people that voted for Obama are realizing that he is not a savior, a god, a deity, a master of the political landscape or anything else. He is a fuckin clown

I still hold to the idea that he was just naive. He ran up against the dug-in mess of corruption we call a government and couldn't pull of any of his plans, or didn't have the guts to follow through with them when he actually pulled back the curtain and saw the executive branch for what it really is.

I knew the jig was up as soon as his staff went into the whitehouse... They were cleaning house like mad, updating their Twitter feed, then a few days later: silence. Then they come back and start saying "The White House is an institution, you can't just change everything overnight." BS. It's his institution. He should have ripped it all out and started fresh, but instead he decided to play the game and he fell into it.

Last edited:
I still hold to the idea that he was just naive. He ran up against the dug-in mess of corruption we call a government and couldn't pull of any of his plans, or didn't have the guts to follow through with them when he actually pulled back the curtain and saw the executive branch for what it really is.

I knew the jig was up as soon as his staff went into the whitehouse... They were cleaning house like mad, updating their Twitter feed, then a few days later: silence. Then they come back and start saying "The White House is an institution, you can't just change everything overnight." BS. It's his institution. He should have ripped it all out and started fresh, but instead he decided to play the game and he fell into it.

Yes, he should start fresh with his own ideas. The man that has experience as a what? A one term senator?

Suddenly he should be an expert on the economy or health care. His solution to the health care industry is to push through a government backed option. This solution has failed twice already (Medicare, Medicaid) but since this j/o and Nancy Pelosi support the idea, we should suddenly back the plan?

You put your faith in a marketing ploy because he supported your side's political agenda.

The campaign trail was a marketing scheme and the first year of his term has been a marketing scheme. We just H-A-V-E to push this health care reform through as millions of Americans find themselves without jobs. We just H-A-V-E to grant Congress and the Unions special privileges to be exempt from this GREAT legislation.

I support allowing corporations to spend money publicly because this helps level the playing field with the left-wing controlled media outlets.

Exxon or Berkshire Hathaway supporting a candidate is more significant to myself than who George Clooney or the Baldwins support.

The campaign trail was a marketing scheme

To be fair, ALL campaign trails are marketing schemes. Hell, I backed George W when he was running in 2000 based on what he said during his first campaign.

They all seem to do the exact opposite of what they promise once they get in office. Hmm: Ron Paul: CIA has carried out 'coup' against US

"You sign x and y legislation for us, or maybe your bodyguards look the other way next time someone's gunning for you" :ph34r:

Back