Flywheel + hp=?????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

greddygirl

I was just wadering if it was worth paying the price for the light weight flywheel and actually how much it would help out..i am getting a stage 3 clutch and if it will not help me that much would rather not have to pay the money. And if so will stock flyweel hold up with stage 3 clutch??

it all depends on what you want to use your car for... I have found that an ultra light flywheel makes my car dificult to drive in stop and go traffic..

on the other hand if your road racing, or dyno racing light flywheels make good hp numbers and seem to help when shifting because the light weight of them help the engine slow it's self down between shifts

The revs will come up a lot sooner and acceleration will be improved.

You will have to learn to drive your car again from a stop because you lose inertial momentum, but that is about the only downfall. Better acceleration and throttle response is always a plus.

Originally posted by Relix@Jul 12 2004, 08:15 PM
it all depends on what you want to use your car for... I have found that an ultra light flywheel makes my car dificult to drive in stop and go traffic..

Me + 7.5lb flywheel + Houston rush hour traffic = :thumbsup:

Once the flywheel is on the car you get used to it. After a few months you won't even notice it. It is worth the money, I felt a difference in throttle response but you have to learn to rev match again because the revs rise and fall much faster.

if u wanna drag race get a slightly heavier flywheel. Something like 12.5 lbs, but if u wanna road race, get a light weight flywheel, something like 8 lbs. So really it all depends on what setup u are going to have as to decide what weight of flywheel to get.

i have the act prolite flywheel with a stage 3 proclutch it did take some getting used to but after a week your good.

yes I would upgrade, might as well since your replacing the clutch.

yes it's very driveable, and it's not the pain in the ass like some other people say it is ( I have actually used a 11lber and a 7lber both on B series motors)

Originally posted by lsvtec@Jul 12 2004, 09:37 PM
Once the flywheel is on the car you get used to it. After a few months you won't even notice it. It is worth the money, I felt a difference in throttle response but you have to learn to rev match again because the revs rise and fall much faster.

I didn't notice mine at all when I got it- I adapted instantly. It's not hard to get used to. The only time I ever notice my flywheel is when I drive something that's stock... then it's like night and day.

Originally posted by Calesta+Jul 12 2004, 10:33 PM-->
@Jul 12 2004, 09:37 PM

I didn't notice mine at all when I got it- I adapted instantly. It's not hard to get used to. The only time I ever notice my flywheel is when I drive something that's stock... then it's like night and day.

:werd:

i just got a fidanza 7.5lb flywheel, and an act hd/ss clutch. the engine revs a ton faster now. with the light flywheel, the only thing you will notice is that your revs will drop faster when you hit the clutch. this is where the rev matching comes into play that ls/vtec was talking about.

aside from that, everything else is about the same, minus the clutch pedals stiffness.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Jul 14 2004, 03:59 AM-->
Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 13 2004, 03:33 AM
Relix
@Jul 12 2004, 08:15 PM

Me + 7.5lb flywheel + Houston rush hour traffic = :thumbsup:

Yea, but Houston rush hour traffic is bumper to bumper, at 90 mph.

:lmao:

Yes, along with 0-60-0-60-0-60-0-60-0 bumper to bumper too. It's pretty stressful.

talk about 0-60....i used to get murdered by my friends prelude sh all the time in 1rst and 2nd. after my 8 lb flywheel and act organic i can keep up with him till 3rd. that's when he pulls the a shit load on me. but it did surprise him though and me too!

8lbs.... dont notice any low end torque loss, revs up and down faster, i notice i have to rev it up higher at lights to take off so it doesnt try to stall.

Back